Chapter 17

"Well, looks like someone had an eventful weekend." Jazzy commented with a mocking raised brow, as Naomi approached her friend waiting by her locker early Monday morning. If only you knew, Naomi thought as she offered her friend a coy smile. 

"Gasp!" Naomi mocked with an exaggerated hand to her cheek, "Jazzy, is that you?! I almost didn't recognize you without Nathan draped over your shoulders!" Naomi joked as she hugged her, but as she pulled away she saw a glint of sadness in her brown eyes. Naomi was about to ask what was wrong but Jazzy was quick to change the subject.

"So how did the month-iversary go? Was it all white horses and rose petals?" Jazzy joked, but Naomi could detect a hint of ice in her tone. What's buggin' her out? Naomi questioned, but shrugged it off for now, filling Jazzy in with the details of her date with Miles.

"Sounds good but by the look on your face, I would'a thought you two slept together." Jazzy commented deflatedly.

"Okay. What's wrong?" Naomi asked, ignoring Jazzy's remark and finally giving in to her sullenness. 

Just as Jazzy was going to speak, muscular arms circled her waist and hoisted her three inches above the ground, just before spinning a full three-hundred and sixty degrees and setting her back down onto her feet. Naomi squealed in laughter, knowing there was only one person who would do something so childish. 

"Glad to see you're back, Cayden." Naomi said with a smile as she turned to him. 

"Well classes at the college are done for the year so I'm back for rest of the few weeks left here." Cayden said as he offered a smile back. "Hey Jasmine." Cayden nodded in greeting to her friend as she greeted him back. 

"Look, I gotta get to class, Nay. I'll see at lunch." Jazzy said as she sullenly walked towards the direction of her next class. 

"What's wrong with her?" Cayden asked with concern. 

"I'm not really sure, but it's got her moping uncharacteristically." Naomi answered with a careful eye on Jazzy's retreating figure. She shrugged as she turned her attention back to him. She'll feel better by the time she sees Nathan. 

"So how's your sister?" Naomi asked as she opened and pulled books from her locker, remembering that Mrs. Cortings had finally given birth about a week ago. 

"She's good...healthy. And really cute, too. You should come by to see her." Cayden asked as he draped a friendly arm around her shoulder and steered her through the hall towards her class. 

"Hmm...I dunno. Do I really wanna fraternize with someone who will soon be my competition for your attention?" Naomi joked. 

"C'mon, you know I wouldn't ignore you. And plus, judging by the glowing look on your face you probably don't need my attention."

Why is everyone saying that? Naomi questioned herself. She was always happy wherever Miles was concerned, but why were people noticing it now? Nothing was different much from a month ago to now, since she and Miles had been together, and she liked Miles all the same. The question haunted her mind as they walked the rest of the way to her first period Spanish class that she almost forgot to respond to him. 

"I don't know what you're talking about, Cay. I think you're high on all that baby powder you inhale." Naomi mocked as she successfully diverted the topic of the conversation.

They joked around some more and Naomi finally made a promise to Cayden to visit his sister, Carolyn some time soon and they said their farewells until lunch. As Naomi filed into her classroom she couldn't help the stab of pain she felt at her heart as she realized that Cayden wouldn't be around any much longer with him going off to college in Connecticut. Cayden had been her crutch after the fall through with Darryl freshman year. He had rekindled their faltering childhood friendship by giving her a shoulder to cry on and listening whenever she wanted to rant on and on about how much she hated him. He was truly a brother she wish she had.