Chapter 7

"So, you want me to talk to him or should I get Nathan, too?" Jazzy asked flipping through the pages of her math book. Since this was Jazzy's only moment alone–without wearing Nathan on her back–Naomi told her about Miles and their not-so-sweet encounter. Naomi stared at her friend through her laptop screen, her face pixelated, coming in and out of view.

"When are you gonna fix your camera? You're making this ooVoo chat so not worth it!" Naomi joked around, crossing her legs comfortably on her lavender and purple bedspread. They both laughed, and Naomi knew these were the only times that Jazzy had any time for her. With a jar of peanut butter and a spoon in hand, she scooped a mouthful onto her tongue, "And about Miles..." she paused, savoring the creamy goodness, "He could go kick rocks. I don't care, do whatever you want."

"No, don't give up on him yet. You're gonna need a date to junior prom in a couple of months, won't you?" Jazzy asked, glancing up from her book as she pulled her slick hair into a ponytail. She watched in puzzlement as Naomi licked the spoon clean and adjusted her creme, off-the-shoulder sweater. "And? I know lots of other guys. I'm just gonna have to move on to the next one."

"What is it with you and peanut products? Like peanut butter, Reeses, Snickers–"

"Oh and don't forget, my fave, M&Ms Peanuts!" Naomi gushed.

Jazzy laughed as she rolled her eyes, "Oh how can anyone forget about that? Seriously, are you addicted?"

 "Well just because you have peanut allergies doesn't mean you should discriminate, Hun." Naomi teased, laughing as Jazzy stuck out her tongue.

 "But don't talk to any other guys until I talk to Miles, okay?"

 Naomi rolled her eyes just as her Android powered phone bleeped, notifying her that she had a new text. She grabbed her phone as Jazzy continued on, "I hope he's not that mad at you. He was an asshole, though, but still. You guys look really cute together. I'm gonna have to—"

 Jazzy stopped as she saw Naomi's eyes widen as she stared at the screen of her phone. Naomi's face looked flushed and fluttered. "What's going on? Who texted—"

 Naomi's gaze snapped back onto her friend's concerned expression, knowing she had to think fast. He was giving her only five minutes to get to his place.

 "I, uhh...gotta go, Jazzy," Naomi rushed, hardly able to get the words out. "Umm, my mom wants me to go to the market for her," she lied.

 "The market or prison?" Jazzy asked in mocking sarcasm. "Your face just blanched!" she commented before Naomi signed out without the slightest effort of saying bye. She leapt off the bed and began to pace the carpeted floor.

 Are you serious? Right now? She thought. "Don't people usually wait a while, like a day, before a deal is enacted?" she frantically muttered to herself, running a fidgety hand through her tousled curls. She looked over to her digital alarm clock on her nightstand, it was only 3:57—they had made things official only thirty minutes ago.

 She paused her marching enough to look at herself in the mirror. I guess I could keep the shirt, she contemplated thoughtfully, but I guess I'm gonna have to switch to jeans, referring to the short shorts she wore because, quite frankly, it was freezing outside. She pulled them on and headed for the bathroom to clean herself up, realizing she was wasting time. Ugh, I hate this kid so much, she loathed as she rinsed her mouth free of the toothpaste.

 She ran down the stairs almost toppling over, "Dad, I'm going to the library for a couple of minutes ..to study!" she grabbed her coat and fled out the door before her father could respond. She had no idea how long it would take to get this over with, but she was hoping it would be at least a couple of minutes.