Chapter Seven

Hellooo guys!!!! Thank you so much for over 400 reads! Insane!!!
__________

Things had changed over the past few days. After his knights had arrived from Airasan, he had realised how close the day was when he would have to reveal his true identity. Of course, he had always known it would happen someday but now it felt closer than ever. And now they were riding to his kingdom. To the hideout. Merlin was riding on the back of the group. Others were talking but Merlin wasn't listening. Arthur's kiss had indeed cheered him up but now the anxiety was creeping back. He wasn't ready to take back a kingdom or even rule one. And how Arthur would react to his secret. Everything was just too complicated. He found himself hoping he could be anyone else in the world.

Merlin saw how Arthur was riding in the front. His blonde hair was shining in the sunlight. Merlin wished he could be alone with him. Finally, one of his anxiety reasons were gone because he knew Arthur liked him back. And with it came more reasons to worry about so maybe it wasn't so good thing. Marriages were common between two kingdoms. 'What the heck am I thinking?' He didn't even know if Arthur liked him that much.

His friends from Airasan slowed down to right beside him. Lancelot and Noah were on his left side and Harry and Ethan on his right side.

"We're gonna get our kingdom back," Lance said confidently.

"Yeah, just a few more days and we can start planning the revolution," Harry added.

"But is it even right? Keane is older than me. It doesn't matter that he is my stepbrother. Maybe his better king than I'll ever be. I haven't seen him in seven years. What if he has changed?" Merlin said with frustration. He had thought about it and he really didn't feel ready to be a ruler. Actually, his brother didn't have the right for the throne because he and Merlin had the same mother but a different father.

"You're so much better than your brother.  And Keane hasn't changed at all," Ethan said and they shared a knowing look.

Merlin remembered how cruel his brother had been in his childhood so if he hadn't changed, he would have to save the people from Keane's hands. But maybe he wouldn't have to hurt him. After all, he was his brother.

Merlin was just about to ask, how they were going take back their kingdom but loud yelling stopped him. Over fifteen men with horses burst out of the woods. Arthur didn't have time to encourage others to take their swords because everyone was fighting all most instantly.

Merlin didn't have his sword with him so he used magic to help others. Falling branches and other stuff. They were outnumbered but Merlin knew he could take all of them by one glance. But he wasn't ready for Arthur to find out.

Lance was fighting near him against one of the attackers. Another one was trying sneak behind him so gold flashed in Merlin's eyes and a rock flew knocking the man out. Lance smiled with gratitude after noticing what had happened.

Now Merlin looked for Arthur. He was fighting against two. His eyes flashed again and a big branch fell to other one's neck. Merlin turned slightly to check if someone else needed help, but his attention caught one man in black, who looked like a giant with a long brown beard. The man was standing a few feet away, staring at Merlin with a shocked face. It took a second from Merlin to recognise the man. Back then he had been one of the knights in Airasan. A thrust worthy soldier. Now, he was clearly on Keane's side.

Before Merlin did anything, the man shouted 'back up' with distress. All the attackers looked surprised but still stopped fighting and ran out of sight.

Merlin looked around him to see if anyone was injured. Elyan seemed to have painful cut but luckily it didn't look so deep. Others looked fine. All though, everyone looked surprised.

"What happened?" Leon asked breaking the silence. Merlin knew exactly what had happened. The man had recognised him after all these years.