12

chapter twelve

chapter twelve

Yanmei was practicing her waterbending when the soot mixed with the snow fell from the sky. having lived in the fire nation, she knew it was an attack. she followed the other tribe members to the palace and made her way over to her friends.

Chief Arnook stood in front of his people, "the day we have feared for so long has arrived. the fire nation is on our doorstep. it is with great sadness I call my family here before me. know well that some of these faces will vanish from our tribe, but they will never vanish from our hearts... now, as we approach the battle for our existence, I call upon the great spirits! spirit of the ocean! spirit of the moon! be with us! i'm going to need volunteers for a dangerous mission..."

Sokka stood from his spot near a pillar, "count me in!"

Yanmei's eyes widen, "Sokka, no!" she begged. even though he hurt her, she couldn't lose him.

"be warned, many of you will not return. come forward to receive my mark if you accept the task" Yanmei watched as Sokka walked towards the chief. a tear fell down her cheek as he received the mark, he was stupid for doing this, but brave for it at the same time. one of the many reasons she loved him... wait, love? i cant love him! Yanmei thought to herself. it was too soon to love anyone else...

Yanmei stood at the top of the wall to the northern water tribe with the warriors, her friends, and the chief. she watched closely as a bright ball of fire hurled its way towards the wall. her eyes widened as she realized what was going to happen.

"everyone take cover!" she yelled just as the fire ball of flaming earth hit the wall, creating a giant hole and knocking everyone off of it. Yanmei flew backwards and her head slammed into a nearby building, knocking her out. a giant pile of snow fell on top of the girl, burying her and blocking her from view.

Sokka stood up from the group and looked around him, "Katara!" he yelled. just then his sister bended the snow off of her and hugged her brother. they watched as Aang flew towards the fire nation ships on Appa, but their dual bender friend was no where in sight.

the water tribe boys heart began to race as he ran through the destruction, searching for the girl. this can't be happening, i have to find her! he yelled to himself as he continued to search.

"Yanmei!" he called out, hoping that she would hear him, but she couldn't. the force of the hit on her head knocked her out cold and the snow covering her body didn't help her situation. soon enough she would freeze.

"Sokka calm down! we'll find her!" Katara yelled to her brother as she grabbed his arm to stop him from moving. Sokka quickly turned to his sister and she then saw the fear and terror that covered his face.

"I can't loose her, Katara" his voice cracked as he spoke. tears threatening to fall from his eyes. Katara realized how much the girl meant to her brother and she softly smiled.