6

chapter six

chapter six

Zuko was angry with Yanmei when he realized that she was the one who helped the Avatar escape, he thought she wanted to go home, and her letting their last chance of hope escape their grasps make him angry. nothing means more to Zuko than Yanmei, besides his honor, and he would do anything to make sure that their destiny of finding the Avatar and coming home was fulfilled. so he did just that, by locking her in her chambers.

"Zuko, I swear to the spirits, when this door opens i'm unleashing hell on everyone on this ship!" Yanmei yells as she bangs on her locked chamber door.

Zuko had her locked in there for 2 days to 'keep her from messing up their destiny' which she knew was a load of shit, she knew he was just mad about her helping the Avatar. Yanmei didn't regret it though, she knew it was the right thing to do and that these were the consequences of thinking with her heart and not her head. her head would've told her to fight them until she and Zuko could capture them, but her heart knew that the moment she saw that water tribe boy she'd give in to helping them.

why am i still thinking of him? he's the enemy! Yanmei thought to herself. she shook her head to get out of her thoughts and sat on the ground in front of her desk and decided to meditate, it always cleared her mind.

she opened her eyes to the sound of knocking on her door but shook it off and went back to meditating. a second later the door opened and the girl groaned from her spot and turned towards the noise where Zuko stood with lips drawn in a thin line.

"what do you want?" Yanmei asked with her arms crossed. Zuko sighed and walked towards his best friend.

"i'm sorry I kept you locked in here. I was being selfish and stubborn and it won't happen again" he said, looking towards the ground the whole time.

Yanmei grabbed his shirt collar forcefully and looked into his eyes, "if you're going to fake an apology at least say it to my face" she glared.

Zuko's eyes widened, "I really am sorry, Yanny. I just want my honor back, I want us to go home"

Yanmei turned her back against Zuko and laughed lightly, "that's it, the honor card. that's all you care about! you think that Ozai will accept you in exchange for a 12 year old kid and it's not true. your father is a cruel and ruthless man, Zuko"

she then pointed towards his scar, "he burned half your face, he killed my parents for falling in love," her voice got louder as she spoke, "and he turned me into this!" she said, gesturing towards her whole body with a scowl on her face.

Ozai made sure Yanmei's life at the palace was a living hell when she wasn't with Zuko or Ursa. he broke her mentally and emotionally, nearly to the point of the girl wanting to turn into the monster he wanted her to be just so she couldn't feel the pain of everything.

"father will accept me, and he'll accept you too" Zuko said, trying to reason with the girl.

Yanmei shook her head, "i'm a monster, Zuko! I controlled the blood inside of your sisters body and nearly broke her bones and liked the power it gave me. I shot lightening at a guard and nearly killed him. I can bend not only one but two elements which is literally impossible according to every fact in the universe. i'm a dangerous mutant who deserves the same fate as her mother and father" by the end there were tears falling down Yanmei's face. Zuko wrapped his arms around her and brought her into a hug.

"you don't deserve that fate, Yanmei. you're not a monster or a mutant; you are the most selfless, caring, strong, beautiful, and brave girl i've ever met"

Yanmei's heart melted at his words, she never thought he'd see her like that. she looked up from his chest and smiled, "I don't deserve you"

Zuko shook his head with a chuckle, "you deserve everything you have"

"do you really mean that? and everything else you said?" Yanmei questioned.

"of course I did, you are everything i've ever wanted in a partner"

Zuko's eyes immediately went wide as he realized that he just said.

"what?" Yanmei whispered in shock. did he just say that?

Zuko took a breath and cupped Yanmei's face in his hands, "I love you, Yanmei. i've loved you since we were children, and i've been too stupid and scared to admit it all this time, but I mean it. I love you" suddenly Yanmei felt Zuko's lips on her's and before she could react he pulled away. her emotions were running wild and she had no idea what to even do.

"please say something" Zuko begged once he pulled away.

"I-I don't even know what to say" Yanmei deadpanned. she couldn't believe her childhood best friend just kissed her. when she was younger she dreamed of this day. yes, the kiss was honestly amazing, but she didn't know what to do when she knew she felt something for the water tribe boy.

"say you love me back! say that you want to be with me as much as I want to be with you!" Zuko was close to tears and the long seconds passed of Yanmei not saying her feelings. this was a mistake.

Yanmei sighed and back away from Zuko's touch, "I can't. I can't say what you want me to say because I don't know exactly how I feel"

Zuko's emotions went from sadness to anger in a matter of seconds, "it's because of that water tribe peasant, isn't it?! you love him!" he yelled.

Yanmei stumbled back at his sudden harsh tone but regained her stance and pressed a finger to his chest, "do not call him a peasant! you don't know anything about him! and I don't love him, I barely know him!"

"but you want to know him, you like him, I can see it in your eyes. you look at him like you looked at Ken. like you looked at me" Zuko says in a quieter tone while looking into Yanmei's eyes.

"you're right, I do want to get to know him. he makes me feel normal, Zuko. and i know i've only been around him a couple times but I can't hide this feeling. i'm tired of hiding my feelings because you don't like it or it gets in the way of you pleasing your father. I want to be worthy of love, Zuko"

Zuko's anger comes back and he throws a fireball at the wall while screaming, "you are worthy of it! I love you! I want you!"

"but I don't know if I want you! why can't you get that through your thick little skull?!" Yanmei yells.

both of them were quiet for a moment and Yanmei closes her eyes as a tear falls down her face, "just leave, Zuko. I need to be alone right now"

Zuko nods and rushes towards the door, not turning back to face her, "goodnight, Yanmei"