9

chapter nine

chapter nine

the first stop for the Gaang with their newest member was a Fire Nation colony in the Earth Kingdom. they were running low on supplies and needed some soon. they had discovered the town was having a festival, the Fire Days Festival, and it was the perfect opportunity to get supplies and have a little fun.

Yanmei loved the festivals of the Fire Nation, they were so lively and fun and everyone was happy, and she loved to learn the nations dances with Zuko. since the prince was a terrible dancer it was fun to watch him get flustered.

the only problem with the town was that Aang had wanted posters of himself hung up, so the group settled on disguises.

Yanmei changed into a mahogany red long sleeved dress that flowed at the ends and matched it with a headband and a coat. Yanmei was glad she chose to bring at least one formal outfit for the travels. Sokka and Katara put black hooded robes on and Aang, being the silly kid he is, lifted the back of his shirt up and out it over his head to cover his arrows.

the group stood in awe as they watched the festival when they entered the town. there was lights, music, games. basically everything Yanmei saw at home.

"i think we're gonna need some new disguises" Katara spoke as she looked around and saw everyone with masks on.

"where are we gonna find masks like that?" Sokka asked. immediately he received an answer.

"get your genuine fire festival masks here!" a salesman shouts from behind the group and they quickly run over to the stand.

Katara chooses one of an old fire nation lady Yanmei had seen in folklore. Aang had one with a frown, Sokka had one with a smile, and Yanmei stuck with a black and gold one that covered the area around her eyes. Ursa would always pick those for the girl, saying that it was more fun to have some things uncovered, especially when meeting a handsome young boy.

once Katara switched the boys mask to match their moods, Sokka with the frown and Aang with the smile, they walked towards a big crowd watching a firebender show off.

(song: Back To You by Twin Forks)

Yanmei was distracted and turned her head to the left when she heard the all too familiar melody of her favorite festival song to dance to. a bright smile covered her features and she grabbed Sokka's hand, dragging him to the source of the music.

"where are we going? we can't just leave them!" Sokka shouts but Yanmei ignores it as she watches a big crowd of people dancing to the rhythm of the song. a live band played on a stage and everyone who wasn't dancing cheered.

Yanmei turns to Sokka, "dance with me" she breathes, out of breath from running. Sokka's eyes go wide and he shakes his head causing Yanmei to grin even more.

"no way! I can't dance!" Sokka says and Yanmei laughs, dragging him to the dance floor.

"it's easy, just watch me" she says. she waits a moment to get the chance for her dance to match the rhythm then shows Sokka the moves. Yanmei lifts her dress up a bit to show her feet and hops with both feet the left twice, then does the same to the right. the lands back into her beginning stance and points her left foot in the air in front of her, guiding her dress in the same direction and does the same with with her right side and then pushes her left foot backwards and guided her dress to the side and again does the same for the right.

she watches as Sokka stares in confusion at the dance and laughs. the tempo to the music picks up and Yanmei reaches her left arm to the sky and her right one to the floor and trots in a circle around Sokka clockwise, turns, and does the same thing counterclockwise. she lands in front of the water tribe boy who shakes his head with a look of horror on his face. Sokka didn't have a dancing bone in a body, but if it made Yanmei happy, he would do it.

"alright, let's do it" he sighs and smiles as the girl in front of him cheered. the melody of the music returned to the same as it was when Yanmei first did the dance and the two teens got into their stances before doing the same dance Yanmei did moments before. they both had big smiles on their faces as they danced, both feeling the happiest they'd been in a while.

some of the residents watched as the two teens did their own dance, not caring about anything else around them. elders smiled at the pair and others cheered them on as the other dancers joined in on the same dance. Yanmei saw that the others were mimicking her moves and she grinned.

Sokka decided to mix things up a bit and grabbed the girls left hand and raising it over her head, twisting it and making her spin in place. he pushed back as she spun out and then spun back to him, her speed causing her to slam into his body and Sokka grabbed her waist to keep her in place. they both blushed at the fact that their bodies were pressed together. but neither of them pulled away.

"and you said you couldn't dance" Yanmei smirked, her voice quiet because of how close they were to each other.

"i guess you're just a great teacher" Sokka replied, his voice low making Yanmei melt.

her eyes moved from his to his lips as she wondered how it would feel to kiss the boy. she wondered if she would feel sparks or if the things she felt in that moment was just her imagination.

Sokka noticed the girls eyes wonder and he leaned closer to her to where their noses were touching. both the teens held their breath, not knowing what to do and waiting for the other to make the first move because of their nerves.

Sokka gave in and tried to close the gap but was pulled away when Katara and Aang dragged the two away, following a strange man with a hood.

"what's going on?" Yanmei asks after a moment, falling out of her daze after what happened and what almost happened moments ago.

"Aang was discovered! all of the guards are looking for us!" Katara yelled as they entered an alley.

"i'm calling Appa!" Aang said and took out his bison whistle. Agni, i hope Appa can hear it Yanmei thought to herself.

"this way!" the man in the hood spoke and lead them to another alley where guards were waiting on the other end. the man threw a smoke bomb at the soldiers and lead the teens to another dead end, a giant crate fill with fireworks in front of them.

great, we're so dead. Yanmei mentally face palmed but was hopeful when she heard Appa.

"Appa! down here!" Aang called to his bison. the sight of the flying bison scared off the soldiers and Appa bended air with his tail to knock them into another alley a few feet away, giving the gang and the strange man enough time to climb onto Appa and fly away.

so much for a peaceful night at the festival.