Chapter 3

Work was just like every other day; Jack ignored me, I tried to ignore him.

It was difficult. He was beautiful.

All staff on the showrooms dept wore crisp white shirts and smart black trousers. He looked stunning in his. He always wore it with the sleeves rolled up to his elbows; his wrists were pure porn for me. He had a tattoo on each one though I

’d never been close enough to see it in detail, but they looked like stars.

He had abandoned his tie and unbuttoned his shirt; he looked like he’d stepped out of a fashion catalogue. I was huddled up in extra layers, freezing cold. I was so sexy with my bright red nose and all the sniffing.

Every day was the same, he kept to himself, and I kept to myself. I’d abandoned trying to start conversations as he blatantly wasn’t interested. It wasn’t that he was rude. Maybe he was shy, maybe he hated the job so much he wanted to pretend he wasn’t here. I knew how he felt, this place sucked!

The customers were hateful, the music was at least twenty years out of date (I love 80’s music, but they only used the depressing stuff) the job itself was minimum wage and sucky.

I tried to make eye contact with him, even if he scowled I loved it. He was like a grumpy child sometimes and that amused me.

My plans for us to elope and marry weren’t going well. Obviously I wasn’t so disillusioned as to think that would actually happen, but my dreams were haunting me.

Why couldn’t he just be polite?

I decided I would turn the adoration I felt into hate, but it wasn’t that easy.

Work generally required interaction with your colleagues. I would blank him and he could come running to me. Chances were I was giving him exactly what he wanted, but I had to try a new tack.

Ended up I didn’t have to ignore him; I just had to drop something heavy on my foot.

“Oh god, oh god, Jesus, God in hell!” I yelled, the heavy box I’d dropped lay on the floor looking innocent, a foot away from my feet.

A head appeared above the divide.

Jack.

He looked vaguely concerned, probably more worried about my swearing upsetting customers and losing him commission.

“Piece of crap!” I kicked the box with my good foot. I was dancing on the spot, my foot throbbing, probably bleeding and broken.

“Looks like you won’t be playing the piano for a while.”

I stopped hopping and turned in shock.

Jack was laughing at me! He walked around the desk to see what had happened.

“I would have moved it if you’d asked.” He gave me a devastating smile.

“Like hell you would.” I hissed.

It was bad enough my foot was killing me, but the guy I worshipped was laughing! I was so angry I was amazed I didn’t spontaneously combust.

“You barely acknowledge my existence! You’ve not spoken two words to me since I started working here.” I growled.

I looked up, expecting him to be angry, but he was laughing hysterically.

“Yeah it’s hilarious when a dancer breaks her foot.” I spat.

It wasn’t strictly true, I hadn’t done ballet in a few years and I’d never been any good when I had but I wanted him to feel guilty.

He swept his hair out of his eyes and smiled sweetly.