Chapter 22

I must have fallen asleep on the books as I was woken from my beautiful Jack dreams by Laura screaming my name.

            “Rain…it’s coming. The baby.” She screeched.

            “Ok, it’s ok. I’m here.” I jumped to my feet and ran over to her.

            “How quickly are the contractions coming?”

            “Very.” She said between gritted teeth.

            “How long have you been having them?”

            “A few hours.”

            “Why didn’t you wake me?”

            “You were exhausteddddddddddd……” She yelled.

            “It’s ok; you’re going to be fine.” I took her hand in mine.

I helped her get her legs in the stirrups on the bed, ensuring the baby had a clear path, before running next door to find some scissors, forceps and something to mop her brow with.

            “RAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNN.” She screamed.

I flew back next door, my stitches creaking against the punishment I was putting them through. I knew I would have to re-stitch them later.

            “I’m here. I’m here, it’s ok.” I soaked a cloth and wiped her forehead.

            “I need you to concentrate on your breathing, I know it’s hard, but just copy me.” I did the exercises I’d seen on the videos; glad I’d watched them now.

She followed as best she could, screaming and gritting her teeth in between.

I moved down to see if I could see the baby’s head. Nothing yet.

            “Next contraction bear down, don’t push, just bear down.”

            “I don’t have a lot of CHOIIIIIIIIIIIIICE” She screamed. “I’m scared I’m so scared.”

            “You and Jack are going to be fine, I promise. I’m not going to let anything happen to you. Women have been giving birth for thousands of years, we don’t need doctors, it’s going to be fine.” I was trying to convince myself more than her. This was terrifying.

            “Rain……………..”

I took her hand between mine and wiped her brow again.

            “Do you need a drink?”

She nodded.

I held a glass to her lips and she sipped desperately.

            “Remember your breathing.”

She started the patterns again.

            “Good, you’re doing great.”

An hour passed, I was starting to panic. Shouldn’t something have happened by now?

Laura was exhausted and I didn’t know what to do. The baby could die. They could both die. What the hell did I think I was doing?

            “Rain…” She panted. “I think I felt something”

I moved to the other end of the bed. The baby’s head had appeared.