Chapter 26

I awoke to find him sat in the chair next to the bed, just watching me, a contented smile playing about his lips. I felt my mouth pull into a smile; it felt weird after this long.

We sat at stared at each other for a long while, talking with our eyes.

Mine asked him what had happened, where he had gone, how had we gotten here?

His asked if I was in any pain, could he get me anything, where did it hurt, apologies for having been dragged away from me.

            “Still think you’re in hell?” He asked with a grin, his playfulness was coming back.

            “I don’t care anymore. You’re here, that’s all that matters.”

            “What happened since I last saw you?”

I took a deep breath.

            “I delivered a baby, went grand theft auto on a bunch of zombies, pretended to be a corpse and nearly lost my mind…..you?” I smiled.

            “I got dragged by my ankles through some streets, tied to a chair and beaten. The usual.” He smirked.

I laughed in spite of myself; it hurt but felt good at the same time.

            “How did you carry me here, you were in no fit state to save yourself if I remember correctly.”

            “Adrenaline.” He said softly. “That and the knowledge that if you died I was just going to walk back into that house and let them eat me.”

I frowned, though I’d had similar thoughts.

            “Why did they keep you alive?”

            “I’m guessing they prefer their meat fresh.” He smiled, but it was forced.

            “Were the other two dead?”

            “Yeah.” He said softly. “I stole a car, let’s hope society never gets fixed or I’m in trouble.” He said with a laugh.

            “Me too!” I said too enthusiastically.

Here we were trying to outdo each other’s crimes.

            “I smashed up a bunch of houses though, so I win.”

            “Aw crap. I’ll have to smash up the hospital then we’ll be even.” His thumb brushed my bottom lip.

He seemed too afraid to touch anything else.

            “How many people are here?”

            “About twenty came over on the ferry, several military who were armed -they’ve gone out to check there are no others.”

            “What about the rest of the world?”

He shrugged.

            “Though I haven’t seen any planes in the sky since this started, either they know and they’re staying away or they’re facing the same thing.”

            “But what is it?”

He shrugged.

            “I know what it isn’t though.”

            “What’s that?”

            “Flu.” He said with a laugh.