Harvey

~1952~

It had been a few weeks after Edward's return to the railway after his lengthy overhaul, and the engines found that life was more easier with the return of their friend.

With Edward's new look, he was much more better then what he previously had and performed much more better.

But there was another engine that had also came to the railway. But he was completely new. His name, was Harvey.

Harvey was a crane engine who was odd looking for many of the engines. For he wasn't really based on a design of an engine. You see, Harvey was a crane engine, who built to custom needs by The Fat Controller wanting a movable crane engine to help with maintenance and all sorts with lifting loads in yards or moving Judy and Jerome to crash sites and help there too with his own crane arm atop his boiler.

But this has led to Harvey being different then the rest of the fleet. The engines all called him 'one-of-a-kind'. This made Harvey feel offended, and very sad.

When Edward came back he met up with Harvey, who he saw, was with Henry. And the green engine wasn't being particularly nice to the newcomer.

"You don't even look like an engine!" exclaimed Henry, "How can you be one if you cannot pull trains?"

"Well um... you see," started Harvey, "I can pull trains, I just pull trains that are needed for maintaining the mainline and others jobs like that sort."

Henry snorted and was about to reply, when Edward gave a peep of his whistle and came between the two engines.

"Henry I am ashamed of you!" he scolded, "I thought of you of all engines would not treat an engine like an improper one!"

Henry huffed and stormed away to collect his next train. Harvey sighed sadly.

"Don't worry Harvey," Edward comforted, "They'll get use to you soon."

Edward then pulled away to go to the depot. Harvey smiled back, but it was only a fake one.

Harvey still felt like an outsider as he rested in the sheds at Tidmouth that night. Gordon, James and Henry didn't dare speak or even try to look at the crane engine. Percy tried to start a conversation with him, but it was no good. Harvey felt too belittled to talk now.

Percy tried again the next morning too. But he failed again. In the end, he had to leave to shunt the big engines' trains.

Harvey was still in the yards an hour later, still looking glum. The Fat Controller came over to greet the crane engine.

"Hullo Harvey," he said.

"Hullo to you too sir," replied Harvey, putting on his fake smile.

"Listen, control on British Railways say that you aren't really... impressed with you," said The Fat Controller.

"So... I'm not allowed to work on your railway then?" gasped the crane engine.

"It really depends now," said The Fat Controller, "You see, a group of inspectors will be coming to see you with a little performance."

"So... a test run with my crane?"

"Yes," replied The Fat Controller, "You'll be lifting and loading crates about and showing how you put a truck back on to the rails. Understood?"