All At Sea

~1944~

~A Month After D-Day~

World War Two was still in commence and Molly and I were working hard at the fort by the sea. Both of us worked as hard as ever, from early morning, to late night.

Some ships, come from the mainline with machinery to increase the fort's weapons and protect the island for any invasion from the Nazis. Other ships would come empty and would take soldiers and supplies to France or Southern England.

Molly and I were kept busy nearly everyday and every night. Going backwards and forwards with troop trains and trains full armaments.

One early morning, me and Molly were getting ready at the sheds we were held at. It was at the very corner of the fort and we could see the ocean, sparkling in the sun. A boat laid nearby, sitting next the dock, we both knew it was for troops to be sent to France. The top lieutenants never keep these things secret to each other unless it was very important for the war effort that the Nazis can't even here it from soundproof walls.

Molly watched the ocean. "You know, I've always wanted to go far away lands," she said suddenly.

"What does that mean?" I asked, "We've already gone to France that's a once in a life experience for a locomotive's career."

"Not like that," replied Molly, "I mean like actually work on a foreign railway. Pull different types of rolling stock, see much different land scapes, different houses."

"Yeah, no thanks," said I, looking very doubtful. "I prefer to stay on familiar ground."

"Well I think it could be grand," said Molly, looking dreamily off.

I just stared at her and sighed. "Come Now James!" called my driver, "Your all set to go!"

"Alright," I replied, "I'll see you in a bit Molly!"

"See you later," smiled Molly as she watch me leave the sheds.

Later on, Molly came into Vicarstown yards, to collect some empty vans. She then saw small little boats racing across the winds of the ocean.

"What on earth?" said Molly.

"That's the regatta," said her driver, "People race boats across the ocean with no engine and need only wind for their power."

"Wow," said Molly.

She was impressed. So impressed that when she came back to the fort. She wouldn't stop talking about the regatta.

I was soon getting tired of hearing her talks about it.

"Now come on Molly," I said, when midday came. "Why talk about the regatta, going to far away lands or beyond the horizon? You've got nice firm rails here that are nice and comfortable. Now if you went to a foreign railway, the rails won't be as good as here. The engines would much different and it won't feel like home."

"But it be nice to go somewhere that isn't France," replied Molly, "Don't you think?"

"Nope," I said quickly, "I prefer to stay on English rails, and I would want to keep it that way."

Molly sighed. "If you say so then."

Then a lieutenant came up to the pair. "No.231, there is to be a train full of injured soldiers at one of the docks on the mainland, mostly from Sodor, you must go and collect them and bring it back here to Peel Godred. Understood?"

"Yes sir!" replied Molly.

The lieutenant nodded and walked away.

I stared at Molly. A bit surprised for the arrangements. "Why did they ask you?" I complained, "They should've asked me. I've been down those lines on the mainland more than you!"