Strikes, Bankruptcies & Runaways

~1934~

"We're on strike sir!"

The Fat Controller raised an eyebrow. "Explain?"

"Ever since Thomas have left his duty as station pilot, there hasn't been a designated tank engine for this role. And now that... some engines are gone we are forced to work like common tank engines! It's... it's disgraceful!"

"Disgusting!"

"Despicable!"

The Fat Controller sighed. "What do you want me to do then?"

"Get another tank engine and deal with this mess," said I.

"I can't right now, you know the board of directors are struggling with getting a new member and I can't just go gallivanting off to buy engines," replied The Fat Controller.

"Well then," said Henry, "We won't move until another engine fetches our coaches then."

Gordon and I agreed.

The Fat Controller began to think for a second. "Fine then," he said, "I'll find another engine to do the job."

He then walked to his car and sighed. "Things aren't the same anymore," he said as he drove to Edward's Branch Line.

***

Edward eventually arrived to help with shunting in the yards. Emily was loaned to work on his branch line for the time being and the blue engine began to work with being a temporary station pilot.

He did an alright job. Not going to lie there. But for us, it wasn't right for a tender engine to shunt.

"He should be supporting us," complained Henry, "Not making our point disproven!"

"Then let's make sure he doesn't get in our way," said Gordon firmly. He then told us what we were going to do. Both Henry and I were a bit cautious of this scheme but didn't say anything about it.

That night, Edward joined us at the sheds. It wasn't worth him going back to his own sheds. We all knew that, and made own voices heard to the blue engine.

When all the crews left and locked us up for the night. Gordon spoke. "What are you doing?"

Edward looked over. "What do you mean?" he asked.

"We are trying to prove to The Fat Controller that tender engines don't shunt," said Henry, "And you are against us."

"Why can't tender engines shunt?" Edward said defensive, "Yes, tank engines are better at shunting. But tender engines can shunt."

"Pah," I said, "Lies."

"You should know James," said Edward, "After all. You were in-"

"Don't you say it!" I said, raising my voice.

Gordon and Henry both looked at me. "Say what?"

"It doesn't matter," I replied. Then I glared at Edward. "Tender engines don't shunt you black wheeled bastard."

Edward looked stunned. He didn't say anything after that. And slowly went to sleep. I didn't knew what to think after that, but I was still furious at Edward for almost making a comment about my past in France.

The next day, when Edward was resting outside. Waiting for a timetable of trains that needed to be shunted. Gordon, Henry and I were still in the shed. I was the first to leave and when puffing pasting the blue engine I wheeshed a cloud of steam at him.

Edward coughed and spluttered. I smirked as Gordon and Henry snickered in the sheds.

When returning to the yards that midday. I saw Gordon wheeshing steam as he went past Edward. I smiled, both were doing the same, and I was pleased.