The Soaring Eagle

The North Western Railway was thriving after its completion in 1915, more goods customers came and made contracts with The Fat Director so their goods could travel quicker and for passengers, they flocked to the railway stations. By the next year, we were all getting worn out. But we all did our best. We were so busy though, we didn't have enough time to think of names properly for the midland engine.

The midland engine still hadn't got a proper name and we were all still trying to think of one, but none of us could think to give him one with how busy and how the midland engine didn't bother about it and we were beginning to get frustrated with calling him 'the midland engine'; it was quite a mouthful. One day though, I was at Kellsthorpe Road station with a passenger service waiting for another engine. It was a guaranteed connection and he was running late.

I was beginning to get worried. But I finally heard the familiar whistle of a grey tank engine, Samson.

Samson was built by the Fat Director and was custom built. He was "one of a kind" as he put it, even though he wasn't and never realised drawings were loaned off by the Furness Railway ages ago, believe me, I have seen one of these Neilson designs before. No one knew why, but he was very stuck up and proud of himself, too much so. He used to work on the Tidmouth, Knapford and Elsbridge Light Railway, but instead of the red livery the other coffee-pots used, he had this light, grey livery, I think this boosted his pride and ego a little too much, however, the other coffee-pots have always said that he must've come out wrong of the works due to an error.

And I must admit I could see why they'd believe that. He was given the branch line since it was one of the most isolating parts of the railway, the Fat Director must've known this and no matter what, he refused to have any other engine work on there, even though the work was too much for a small tank engine like Samson.

The grey tank engine came into the station with his usual passenger service. I looked over with a raised eyebrow at him.

"You're late," I teased.

"I know!" exclaimed Samson almost immediately, "I got held up."

"You, got carried away with your shunting again, didn't you?" I said, trying hard not to smirk.

"Well-I..." Samson stopped there.

"Just as I thought," I said.

Samson seethed in rage. "Now you listen here you," he said, "I am the only one running this line, and sometimes there's too much to take.

"So you need help?" I quizzed.

"Me? Need help?" Samson almost laughed at that, "please, I never need help, I am the most powerful tank engine on this island after all."

"If you were, you would have brought this train on time."

Samson looked back at me with gritted teeth. But before he could say anything, my guard blew his whistle and puffed away to make up lost time. I didn't have time to tease or even scold him for his rudeness. My priority was to get my passengers to their destinations, on time. But I couldn't help but think about his situation. Samson was given the branch line since it was one of the most isolating parts of the railway, the Fat Director must've known this and no matter what, he refused to have any other engine work on there, even though the work was too much for a small tank engine like Samson, that's why he was really late because the workload was always too big for him. However, he refused help and would just make his branch line as insufficient as ever, the worse on the entire railway in fact!

I soon arrived back at Vicarstown with my service, a bit late, but I manage to get a few minutes back. The midland engine was there, waiting for a clear path.