Two

The hospital was cold and seemed quiet even with the bustling of doctors and nurses going by the door.

There was a blonde young woman laying in a hospital bed with more tubes connected to her than there looked to be machines in the room.

She had a casted leg elevated and bandages covering her arm. Her heart rate was finally stable and the color was coming back into her skin.

She wasn't conscious but the younger boy sitting in the chair next to her, with his elbows on his knees and head in his hands, was.

He had been since the morning on the day he got the call from the hospital. Two days later, the only time he had slept was when the woman was in surgery.

Coffee cups were littered around the full trash can and the shaking in his legs hadn't stopped.

The door creaked open and with wild eyes, the boy looked up.

Instead of the normal round of doctors, he saw the other victim's family. He hated having to use the word victim - it just cemented in the fact that his sister was as hurt as she was.

"How's she doing Carter," the woman asked.

The boy sighed, "The doctors say she should be awaking up in the next hour."

"That's good, honey," Jodie said and stepped into the room. She was followed by someone Carter hadn't met before.

"This is my son," Jodie said, "Austin."

Carter nodded at the guy and he nodded back.

"How did the surgery go," Jodie asked and Carter ran a hand through his hair.

"Good," he said and cleared his throat, "They added rods in her leg since the bones aren't intact."

Austin looked from the wrecked boy in front of him to the blonde on the bed.

Blondes were his type but he forgot how different California blondes were from real blondes. This girl was beautiful even when she looked half way to death.

"What happened," Austin asked, looking back to the younger boy.

Carter looked from the tall tattooed man to his sister and then back to the man.

"She broke three bones and dislocated her knee."

Austin winced.

"She'll be good as new sooner than you think," Jodie said and Carter nodded mindlessly.

Jodie rubbed Carter's back in a comforting way before offering to make another coffee run.

"Are you sure he needs more," Austin whispered to his mom and she chuckled.

"I'm getting decaf."

Austin smiled and nodded as Jodie left the room. With his hands in his pockets, he looked around the room and walked over to Carter.

"So," Austin said and sat down on the empty chair next to the boy, "where are your parents?"

"Dunno," Carter said, "Bailey's my guardian."

Austin nodded and went to say something when a voice stopped him.

"Glad to hear you acknowledge that."

Carter jumped up and was at the bed in a second.

Austin stood up too and watched as the blonde in the bed looked around and tried to recognize details in the room.

"Where the hell am I?"

"The hospital," Carter said quickly, "do you remember what happened?"

Bailey nodded, "I remember a black SUV came out of the middle of nowhere. I saw the airbags go off and after that things get fuzzy. I think I remember a doctor at some point."