Chapter 37

Super duper duper duper long.

Warning: NSFW (yep, it's that time, folks)

I woke up to a fresh pink sky, layers upon layers of snow and ice covering the neighborhood like a glistening glacial paradise. The sheer joy of the day was magnified by my heart swelling at the sight of Micky sleeping peacefully beside me. A vision of tranquility. He was snuggled into the wall, stealing most of the covers.

I shook my head, amused, then pulled back the covers, shimmying as close to him as I could and spooning him.

"Micky," I whispered.

No movement.

"Micky," I said a little louder.

He stirred.

I sighed, then snapped, "Micky!"

"Hmm?" he said sleepily, turning over and wrapping me up in his arms.

I snuggled into him, content. "Merry Christmas."

"Merrrrryyyyy," he mumbled, starting to fall back asleep. "Chrissssss..." I felt his body tense and he suddenly shot up in my bed, leaving me behind. "Christmas! It's Christmas!"

I rubbed the back of my head. "Thanks, Captain Obvious."

"You're a mean one, Mr. Grinch," Micky said, tapping my nose.

"That one and I have a lot in common."

"And what's that?"

"I, too, bitch a lot."

"Doris Day, you are not."

I rolled my eyes and Micky fell back onto the bed beside me.

He looked at me with a funny raise of his eyebrow. "I've got a question for you, Miss America."

"Alright, Mr. Grant, you've got my attention."

"Hah," he said wryly. "Funny. Anyway.... so how 'bout a Christmas kiss?"

He mockingly puckered his lips and made dramatic kissing noises.

I laughed and swatted his head. "Don't get fresh, Mister."

"Oh, I implore you, Madam," he said, in a deep, dramatic, feminine voice. He reverted back to his voice. "Just a teensy tiny kiss?"

Micky tackled me and started tickling me. I squealed and attempted to push him off me, but to no avail. I giggled, flailing around beneath him, begging him to stop. When I almost knocked his teeth in, he held my arms down.

Time stopped. I forgot how to breathe as he stared me down, eyes dark and lingering too long on my lips. I was both longing for him and feeling the familiar sinking feeling settling in my spine. I tried to push it back down. I wasn't going to let the memory of Boyce ruin the moment.

His eyes flickered to look into mine, as if asking permission. I don't remember nodding because I was too engulfed in having him so close, so achingly close to me. The air was electric, suddenly too hot, as one hand slid into my hair and he leaned in closer, closer, closer...

My mother's shrill voice echoed throughout the house. "Kathleen!"

Micky flew off me in a panic, falling to the floor in a heap of bones with a loud thump.

"What was that noise?" she called through my door.

"Nothing, Mom!" I yelled back, inadvertently groaning in frustration.

"Be downstairs for breakfast in five minutes!"

I rolled my eyes and peered over the edge of the bed, finding Micky scratching his head. "You okay there, Circus Boy?" I asked. "Landed pretty hard on that bony ass, huh? Think I heard a bone snap."