Chapter 6

I jolted awake, the feeling of falling plaguing me once more. It's been happening recently - maybe it's because I feel so unsettled right now. Glancing up at the clock, I noticed it was 5:25 am. I groaned and got up off the floor, stretching and cracking my neck, before changing into fresh clothes quickly, then attempting to wake Micky up. Yeah, to no avail. He was fast asleep, snoring on and on, and how I got sleep because of that, I have no clue. After trying to shake him awake, I got a cup from the bathroom, put cold water in it, then poured it all over him. I giggled behind my hand as he yelped, jumping up as a shivering mess.

"What the hell, Kat?" he shouted, wiping his face with his hands and staring at me in disbelief.

I chuckled and said, "Well, you wouldn't wake up. So I resorted to cold water. It obviously worked."

"You're evil.." he muttered, shaking the water out of his hair and heading to the bathroom.

"When you get out, we're leaving! I will not be late my first day because of you." I called after him, putting my jacket on and slinging my guitar over my shoulder.

"Yeah, yeah..." he yawned, waving me off and closing the door. I stuck my tongue out at the door.

Finally, after finding him asleep in the bathtub for some reason, we were on our way to the studio. My second time walking down this street in the dark. I have a feeling this is going to be a common occurrence. Well, at least until I can afford to get a car and/or and apartment. We arrived at the studio a few minutes after six, still in one piece thankfully, so I set my guitar down by the door on a little stand left conveniently by the door. Micky and I were looking around to see if anyone else had arrived yet, when suddenly I heard a crash behind me. I whipped around to find my guitar on floor and Rafelson brushing himself off, picking up discarded papers.

"Good morning, you two. Sorry about that, Kat." he smiled nervously.

I glared at him and raced over to my guitar, only to find it broken. I squeaked and took a step back, angry tears flooding to my eyes.

"You broke my guitar!" I hissed, picking up the guitar and staring at him with as much hatred as I could muster. He began to smirk. "Don't you dare smirk at me! What the hell is wrong with you?  You broke my guitar! This is all I have!"

"Kat - " he started, his smirk plastered on his face.

"Don't 'Kat' me! Do you know how much this is gonna cost me? All because you couldn't watch where you were going? Are you kidding me?" I shouted, noticing Annie walking in with Paige and Mike. They all glanced at Micky and he shrugged, putting his hands up and taking a step back as if to say 'I have nothing to do with this'.

"Then maybe you shouldn't have left your guitar by the door!" Rafelson yelled, his smirk dropping as he got in my face to intimidate me. I swear, I'm on the verge of quitting right now.

"You left a guitar stand by the door! What was I supposed to think? 'Oh, cool, maybe good ol'Bobby will come in and make my day by breaking my guitar'?" I snapped, steam practically coming out of my ears. "You pathetic --"

"Whoa, okay!" Annie exclaimed, stepping in between Rafelson and I, most likely to prevent blood being shed. She turned to me as Mike took Rafelson by the arm and led him away from me. "Calm down, K. What happened?"

I huffed. "I left my guitar by the door - on a stand, mind you - for a couple minutes, and, low and behold, he tripped over it and broke it. That bastard was smirking: he did it on purpose!" I explained, fuming. See, I have a reason to despise him now. However, even if this hadn't had happened, I probably would have found a reason to anyway.

"That's not what happened!" Rafelson snapped from where he was standing, starting toward me before Mike yanked him backward by the arm. I advanced to take a hit at him, but Micky grabbed my arms and pulled me back.

"Whatever, asshole! You're a piece of - " I was cut off by Micky clamping a hand over my mouth.

"Do you really want to get fired on your first day?" he whispered in my ear. "Think of your parents. What would they think?"

I was still angry, but he had a point. My parents would be completely disappointed. My mother would give my father the 'I told you so' speech. My mom had faith in me, but she always figured my temper would get the best of me in the workplace and I would get fired. I almost proved her right.

"Micky, take Kat somewhere to calm down." Annie suggested. "Mike and I will take it from here." Micky nodded and took me by the hand, escorting me out of the room. Oh, boy, do I hate Bob Rafelson.

"God, I am so mad right now..." I mumbled, pacing back and forth with a hand to my forehead.

Micky stopped me and said, "Kat, I know you don't like him. I think everyone knows. But can't you just deal with him for a while?"

"Micky, did you see his face? He broke it on purpose. It would figure, we've been at each other's necks since my audition." I said, sighing and sitting down on a crate. I let my chin rest on my hands, elbows on my knees. "I don't even know why I came out here to audition. It was all a big mistake. I should've just stayed where I was."

"You're wrong," he stated, kneeling in front of me.

"How am I wrong, Mick?" I questioned, sighing again.

"Because you took a chance. That has to count more than anything, right? You took a chance and made it." Micky explained, playing with the tips of my hair.

I raised an eyebrow and grinned slightly, having cooled off considerably. He seemed to be a calming presence. "That was a great speech, Circus Boy."

"I do try," he said, standing up and smiling. He offered a hand. "Now, let's get back to work."

"Fine," I groaned, taking his hand and standing up. "But I still don't like Rafelson no matter what speech you make."

We both walked out and back into the previous room we had been in, Mike sitting with Rafelson who seemed calmer than before. However, as soon as I saw him, my anger reignited and I felt as if I wanted to punch him.

I hope he gets trampled by an elephant.