Chapter 5

The eight of us ran out of the restaurant, croaking with laughter. Peter tripping over the threshold elicited more giggles from the rest of us while he blushed furiously and gave us an embarrassed grin. Micky refused to make eye contact with anyone - I knew he didn't want them to mention the owner focusing her glare at him and only him.

"D-did you see the owner's face?" Paige asked, doubling over in more laughter.

I rolled my eyes and we all nodded in response. "I can't believe we actually got banned." I added, glancing back at the restaurant to find the old woman glaring at us through the window. "You know what, I actually can believe it."

"I know! The food wasn't very good though." Davy asserted, shaking his head. We all collectively shot him an incredulous look.

"How would you know? You threw all of yours at Micky!" Annie exclaimed. Davy and Micky burst out laughing once again.

I shook my head and we all climbed back into the Monkeemobile, getting odd looks as we clambered in. I would have done the same thing if I saw a bright red car with eight kids climbing into it. This time, I got a seat to myself while Davy was the one stuck on Micky's lap. It was actually kind of funny. Davy protested and complained and whined for a while, but eventually stopped when he realized no one was listening.

"So, Micky, why did she call you a long-haired colorblind fool?" Mike questioned, snuggling into Annie's shoulder. Wow, this love affair isn't even a love affair yet and it's already reached new heights. Micky blushed at the question and began to explain what happened to us the day before. The story ended with howls of laughter from everyone except the storyteller himself, who pouted and slid down in his seat, taking a yelping Davy with him. Protest after protest came from Micky trying to stop them from laughing, but nothing happened. We laughed all the way back to the studio, stopping, then abruptly starting again like a broken fountain.

"Gosh! I've never had so much fun in my life!" Paige exclaimed, pulling a piece of lettuce out of her hair. "And it's only eight o'clock."

Annie yawned, "Paige, I'm exhausted."

"You can stay at my place if you want, you know, so you don't have to drive home." Mike suggested hopefully. I threw him a look of disbelief. He said what I know he said, right?

"You sure?" Paige asked, raising an eyebrow doubtfully, her body language taking a protective stance. Good for her - she barely knows him and she's being cautious. He nodded and smiled dreamily at Annie. Shit, they were both lovestruck and infatuated.

"Okay!" Annie exclaimed, and I saw his arms snake around her waist once more. Lord, help me now...

Annie blushed, her cheeks a cherry red on her usually fair skin. "Are you okay, Annie?" Peter asked, noticing her face in the rear-view.

"What? Oh, um... Yeah! I'm perfectly fine. Why wouldn't I be?" she replied quickly.

I rolled my eyes and Micky said, "Someone likes Mike...."

"Someone likes Kat.." Annie shot back, smirking.

Micky blushed and I turned to stare at her wide-eyed, blushing a bit also. Geez, Annie, you're being ridiculous. This kid barely knows me.

Eventually, we get back to the studio where Rafelson and Schneider are waiting for us.

"How was it?" Rafelson asked, folding his arms across his chest anxiously. They both exchanged glances, possibly waiting for some story about how one of us got scolded for harassing a police officer or driving over the speed limit.

"Fine." we all replied simultaneously. Yeah, if 'fine' covers up getting banned from that restaurant with supposed incredible cheeseburgers. They don't have to know, of course - it would only cause more worry and stress on their part. Not that I necessarily care about stressing out Rafelson, but I'll cut him some slack for the night.

The eight of us grabbed our stuff and begin to head out. As we were about to finally leave, Bert stepped out of nowhere, physically blocking the doorway. I groaned and glared at him.

"Be back here by 6 am sharp tomorrow for rehearsals." Schneider said, ignoring me.

"But it's late enough as it is now!" Davy exclaimed. I looked at him in surprise. Does he not know how to tell time too? "And we're tired!"

"Not our problem, babe." Rafelson replied nonchalantly, waving it away as if Davy's complaints would disappear.

I wish they would let me sock him in the face. He could use a good bruising.

"Michael, Paige, let's go." I heard Annie say softly, shooting me a look of apology. They both nodded and I shrugged at her.

"G'night Peter, Davy, Micky, Kat, Cecily." Mike said tiredly. How on earth did he remember all our names if he's that tired? Even I could not do that. Just trying to remember all their names while I'm awake is a pain!

They stepped around Schneider, and the rest of us followed after them. Right away, I started to walk, knowing it would take me about forty-five minutes or more to get to the motel. I can't believe I'm walking around the streets of Los Angeles at night. Why am I so stupid? I'm going to die. I'm a nineteen-year-old female walking the streets of Los Angeles at night. I'm definitely going to die now. Great.

Somebody tapped my shoulder and I whipped around to see Micky. "Gah! Micky, don't do that! I thought you were some creep trying to kill me, geez!" I yelled, trying to keep my heart rate normal.

"Sorry..." he said, looking down. "I just wanted to walk you home, so that wouldn't happen."

I smiled slightly. "Then who's gonna walk you home?"

He smirked. "I could stay at your place."

I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms. "Fine, I'll sleep on the floor. C'mon now, let's go. I'm tired and we gotta be back by 6 am."

We started walking in comfortable silence. Although, I wasn't very comfortable on the street I was walking on. This street scared me as much in broad daylight as it did at night. I drifted closer to Micky and held his hand, looking around cautiously. I glanced up at him and could see him smirking.

"Why are you smirking?" I questioned, confused.

"You're scared, aren't you?" he asked, looking down at me.

I blushed and gazed at the sidewalk in front of me. "Maybe..." I mumbled.

"Don't worry, good lady, I'll protect you!" he exclaimed, puffing out his chest.

I rolled my eyes and said sarcastically, "Yipee.. I feel so much safer being protected by the one and only Micky Dolenz. He's so brave.."

When I looked up, I found him glaring at me, which made me burst into laughter. I didn't stop laughing until we reached the motel. Gee, I need to get a real small apartment soon. I walked in, waving to the desk boy on his shift, and to my room we went.

I unlocked the door and stepped in, Micky following. "Alright, you can take the bed, I'll take the floor." I said, grabbing a pillow and blanket off the bed and throwing them on the floor.

"What? Why?" he asked, closing the door.

"You're the guest." I shrugged, taking my jacket off and throwing it on a chair in the corner.

"We can share the bed." he said, sitting down on it and taking his boots off.

"Ha! I don't trust you that much yet, bud. Now get some sleep. We have a busy day tomorrow." I grinned, lying down on the floor and pulling the blanket up to my chin.

Oh yeah, busy day alright.....