Chapter 2

The room contained two men wearing your run-of-the-mill rockstar shades and talking quietly amongst themselves. I bet you five dollars they are wearing those because they are sleep-deprived. Quickly, I hurried over to the guitar in the corner of the room, then went to stand in front of them.

I cleared my throat and they looked up, one of them whipping off his sunglasses in surprise. "You're a girl!" he exclaimed at the same time the other one muttered, "Another one?"

"Surprise!" I stated sarcastically. "You can check my birth certificate if you'd like."

The man who had taken off his shades snorted and said, "What's your name?"

"Kathleen Lennox, although I go by Kat." I said, shrugging. "I play guitar, ukelele, bass-guitar, and some piano. By some piano, I mean I knew enough to get by in church."

"Do you act though?" asked the man with the shades, who I will call Man #2 for now.

"I was in our Drama club during high school. I'm versed enough in acting that I could make it by." I replied, lightly strumming the guitar.

"Well, how about you sing us a song, Miss Lennox." sneered Man #1.

"Gladly," I smirked and began playing the opening riff of 'Ticket to Ride' by The Beatles. Throughout my rendition of the song, Man #1 sat emotionless, while Man #2 bobbed his head along to the song and sang under his breath. The one thing that I was thankful for was that they didn't interrupt me once. I deeply appreciate that, even if they couldn't stand my singing. By the time I finished, Man #1 slightly, "I guess you and Miss Lane proved us all wrong."

I breathed a sigh of relief and said, "Thank you, sir. That means a lot."

Hurriedly, I set the guitar down and sprinted out of the room to avoid an awkward silence. On the way to the door, Micky grabbed my wrist and exclaimed, "How'd it go?"

I stopped and shrugged, "It was okay, I guess. I'm a girl. Like I'd get the job. See you later, Micky. Good luck, by the way."

I stepped away and trudged out the door, sighing. Why did I come out here in the first place? This has to be the stupidest idea I've ever had. I'll be stuck working as a waitress, you'll see. This is a disaster, and it was a disaster waiting to happen. How foolish of me! I'm a girl! They're looking for boys! I pulled at my hair and closed my eyes tightly, exhaling a deep breath I had held for the longest of time. Huffing, I let go and walked down the sidewalk, kicking a pebble every now and then. God, I'm such a fuck up.

Two Days Later
The phone rang at eleven o'clock in the morning. That's odd. I don't know anyone and I didn't give anyone the motel number except...No, it couldn't be.. "Hello?"

"Is this a Kathleen Lennox?" a feminine voice asked from the other end of the line.

"Um, yes. Kat." I replied, nodding. I hate it when people call me 'Kathleen'. "Who is this?"

"This is the assistant of Bob Rafelson and Bert Schneider." the woman said cheerfully, her chipper voice just about giving me a headache right then and there. "Congratulations, you'll be working as an extra and possible studio musician."

I gaped and my face broke out into a huge grin. "Could you hold on for a moment?" I said, shoving the phone under a pillow.

Standing still for a second, I jumped up and down, screaming my lungs out. I'm not stupid, I'm not a fuck up! I can make this happen. Wait, what is the show even about? I mean, other than four boys. Wait, who are the boys? Did Annie get the job too?

When I regained my composure, I pulled the phone out from under the pillow, praying she was still on the line. "Um, what is the show about exactly?" I questioned.

"A struggling rock'n'roll band." the woman answered with the same amount of cheeriness in her tone. "The lead roles are David Jones, Peter Tork, Micky Dolenz, and Michael Nesmith."

"Are there any other extras?" I asked, crossing my fingers and biting my lip.

"Uh, yes, Annie Lane and Cecily Stevenson." the woman said warmly, a smile evident in her voice. "Have a good day!"

The woman hung up and I screamed again. So Mike and Annie got a role? That's a groovy! And Micky, he got a role too? So Circus Boy passed, hm? I think this is going to be exciting....