Chapter 1

After arriving late last night and renting a motel room with what money my parents gave me and what I had saved up, I realized the studio where the auditions were being held was about fifteen blocks from the motel, so I decided to walk instead of waste money on a cab or any service. Grabbing my handbag, I made my way out of the motel and onto the sidewalk.

Thirty minutes later, I made my way through the door. My shoulders slumped as I noticed how much testosterone filled the room. "Shit..." I mumbled under my breath, running a hand through my hair. I trudged over to an empty seat next to a man with a green wool hat on his head and a sack at his feet. He was humming quietly to himself and making sure we did not make any eye contact.

While anxiously awaiting my turn, I noticed a girl walk in. I breathed a sigh of relief, and I saw her eyes light up. Thank goodness I wouldn't be the only girl.

The girl walked up to me, a wide smile etched on her face. It was heartwarming to say the least, almost like she came out of a painting of angels. "Hi there!" she exclaimed, extending her hand. She had long, slender fingers - good for piano. Her hair was an auburn bob, and it suited her lovely face.

I took her hand and grinned. "Hey! I'm Kat Lennox."

"My name's Annie Lane." she replied, and almost immediately her interest was in the man beside me, sneaking a peek at him.

"Are you here to audition too?" I found myself asking. Well, that was a stupid question. Of course she's here to audition. Why else would she be here?

Annie nodded and I let out another sigh of relief. "I thought I was the only one! Well, the only girl that is." I exclaimed, and she giggled.

Wool Hat looked up at her giggle and recognition burned in his eyes. She seemed startled by the intensity of it, but the same look settled in her brown eyes. "H-hi..." Annie stuttered, breaking his gaze and staring nervously at her shoes.

"Hello," he replied, intrigued by her grace and serenity.

She smiled shyly and asked, "What's your name?"

"Michael." he answered, returning her smile. I raised an eyebrow at her blush and smirked, amused by this encounter. Little Annie has a crush.

"I'm Eden - I mean Annie! I'm Annie." she said, blushing a deeper shade of red.

"Nice to meet you." he laughed softly.

A door opened, and I assumed that's where people would audition. "Next!" called a woman, looking pointedly at Annie. There were dark bags around the woman's eyes and anyone could tell she had been there since the early hours of the morning.

"Oh, uh, bye Michael! See ya, Kat!" she waved and scurried to the door.

"Good luck, Annie!" Michael and I called simultaneously.

He turned to face me. "Michael." he said, holding out his hand.

I took his hand and grinned, "Kat. So, what's that in your sack?"

He smirked and picked it up. "Laundry."

"Oh, those producers will be real impressed." I remarked playfully. "So, why are you auditioning?"

Michael shrugged and said, "I need the job."

I chuckled lightly. "Same. I'm from River City, north of here. Where are you from?"

"Oh, only the Lonestar State." Michael shrugged again, folding his hands in his lap. His eyes immediately brightened with an epiphany as he said his follow-up statement, "We should write together some time, you know?"

"How did you know I played?" I questioned curiously.

"Your callouses." he said simply, nodding to my fingers. I unconsciously smiled.

"Well, that would be fantastic! How about Annie though?" I said, waggling my eyebrows when I said Annie. He turned a deep shade of red and I smirked.

"Yeah, that'd be groovy."

As soon as he said that, Annie walked out confidently, and he stood up and waved to me, walking past her. "See ya later, Annie." he winked, walking into the room with his laundry sack swung over his shoulder. I shook my head and mumbled, "Cowboy..."

I gestured her over, and Annie came running as I stood up. "You like him, don't you?" I questioned knowingly.

She blushed and shrugged, "Maybe a little."

"Well, he seemed to like you too. But not a little. A LOT." I said, putting an emphasis on 'a lot'.

Annie smiled dreamily. "Really?"

"Yes, and he wants to write with us."

We said our goodbyes and she was on her way, while I was stuck there with anxiety eating at me. After about five minutes, some guy filled the empty space next to me again. I stared at him, tilting my head. He looked familiar, but I don't know where I had seen him.

"Uh...hi." he smiled awkwardly, shifting uncomfortably in his seat.

I stopped staring and laughed in complete embarrassment, "Oh, I'm sorry. It's just, I think I've seen you somewhere before. Weren't you on that "Circus Boy" show?"

He nodded. "Yeah, I was."

"Wow, really? I used to watch that show all the time with my parents. I didn't realize how long ago that was." I sighed wistfully, then shrugged and put my hand out. "I'm Kat."

The boy nodded and took my hand. "The name's Micky."

"So what are you? A musician or actor?" I questioned, slumping back in my seat. "Mouse..."

Micky laughed and said, "Actually, I'm both. But mostly an actor. Both my parents were."

Before I could respond, the assistant called for the next person in line. I chuckled nervously and stood up. "Wish me luck."

"I'll be betting on you."

That single phrase gave me renewed confidence that I found I had lacked in moments previous. I smiled and walked to the door, nodding to the woman who held it open.

It's now or never.