Chapter 19

*Warning: later in this chapter there is sexual harassment*

Cecily had indeed found an apartment to rent. It was twenty minutes, walking, from the studio, and fully furnished for the most part, which was a blessing. It was a little more costly for the first month because of it, but it was worth it -- not like Cecily and I had any furniture or any possessions at all. Both Cecily and I were excited to be roommates, but Peter was still pouting because she didn't choose him. I think she was bit peeved to be following her parents' wishes of no male roommates, but she did it. Thank God we had gotten our first measly paycheck so we could cover the first month's rent -- although, some money was better than no money.

The apartment was two bedrooms, a living room, a kitchen, and a bathroom -- which had two doors. Cecily and I were both wondering if we'd accidentally walk in on each other one day.

We needed to buy our own sheets, box springs, and bed frames. I was wondering if we needed to buy our own mattresses too, because I wasn't sure if I should trust the mattresses left behind. Cecily convinced me that we didn't need to. We also needed to get some kitchen utensils... and books for the book shelf. Neither of us had brought more than two books from home.

"I'm so excited!" Cecily exclaimed happily. "It'll be like having a sister I never had."

"What's it like having a sibling?" I asked. "I'm an only child."

"Quite frankly, my dear," she said, in her best Clark Gable, then switching back to her own voice. "It sucks."

I giggled and she grinned, then said, "It's nice having a brother, especially one like Charlie, but he's a bit of a jackass at times. Most brothers are though. You aren't missing much."

I nodded and looked around the apartment. The walls were pristine white -- I figured the landlord had them repainted recently. There was a fireplace that didn't actually work, just there for decoration. The couches were hideously floral, but surprisingly comfortable. Which was a good thing, but I figured Cecily and I would be sleeping on them until we got sheets for the mattresses.

"So... which couch do you want?" I asked, and she laughed.

*****************************

The next day, it was a twenty minute walk to the studio, and Cecily complained about the crick in her neck from sleeping on the couch the entire time. It would have been amusing, if it weren't for the fact that I couldn't sleep that night because she was snoring.

We got there after Mike and Annie, but before Micky, Peter, and Davy. That offered a bit of peace that I didn't realize I was craving until then.

Mike glared at Cecily, and just like that the peace disappeared. He walked off. Annie scrunched her nose at his bigoted, childish behavior, then walked over to us.

"I'm sorry about Michael," Annie apologized. "He shouldn't have said those things."

Cecily shrugged. "I'm not saying it's okay, but I'm used to that reaction. The North isn't as liberal and accepting as some think it is."

Annie frowned. "I'm still sorry... you're no different than anyone else."

"Tell Mike that," Cecily scoffed, crossing her arms. "Just keep him away from me."

"He won't say it --"

"No, keep him away for his own safety. I'd hate to rip off your Prince Charming's head."

Annie gulped and nodded. We could both tell Cecily would make good on her threat if Mike made her feel inferior again.

"So what are we doing today?" I asked Annie, trying to diffuse the awkward tension. "Do you know?"