Chapter 15

Something was nudging me - better yet, someone was nudging me - out of my slumber. There were no nightmares that night, and there was no Micky. I thought I was alone, and then I remembered Cecily. Light blinded me as I blinked repeatedly, then found Cecily grinning at me, her hand resting against the lamp.

"Cecily, it's - " I glanced at the clock. "Four in the morning! Why are you waking me up so goddamn early?"

"Geez, you even have a sailor mouth at four in the morning." Cecily grumbled, standing up. "Remind me to check that off on my list entitled 'Things About Kat That Entice My Curiosity'."

I scoffed, "I'm sure you were ever so eager to learn whether or not I cursed when I first woke up."

"Oh," Cecily nodded sarcastically. "It was always a dream of mine!"

I snorted and rubbed my eyes, willing them to adjust to the light of the table lamp. "Why did you wake me up anyway?"

"I have an idea." Cecily smiled. I don't remember ever seeing a genuine smile light up her face, but it was there, and it was real. "I have an idea for a song and I wanna go to the studio and write it with you. Will you do it?"

I groaned and sat up, scratching my head. "Out of all the times to do this, you wanna do it now? Is the studio even open?"

"It's always open. Recording can take awhile." Cecily shrugged. "We can just sneak in. Please say you'll do it - I'm not going to beg. You should feel very lucky I wanna write a song with you - I don't write songs with just anyone."

"Why don't we just write it here?" I questioned. "We can finish it, then I can sleep."

"Because I need a piano. It's a piano ballad, and if you haven't noticed, your room does not come with a piano." Cecily snapped, yanking my pillow off the bed and smacking me with it. I fell over and sighed, deciding I was too tired to fight her. "So get up."

"And I thought I wasn't a morning person..." I grumbled, scratching my head again and getting out of bed with a yawn. Cecily was already completely dressed and ready to go, and she shoved a random assortment of clothes in my hands with a smirk and a wink. I looked down at them with a raised eyebrow, then back up at her and said, "Well, at least you know how to match."

"Only the best for my pretty little doll." Cecily bit back mockingly.

We walked to the studio in silence, arriving just before five. I opened the door for Cecily, following behind her, and we slinked past security sleeping in a chair. She giggled and climbed up the nearest flight of stairs, and I followed her unsure. "Do you even know where you're going?" I asked.

"You mean where we're going." Cecily corrected, then shrugged her shoulders. "I don't know. I'm just determined to find an open studio."

We climbed a couple flights of stairs before we reached a door. She turned to me, then opened it with a grin. Down the hallway was a studio door, wide open, lights off. Cecily grinned again and sprinted down to the door. I trudged along after her, glancing behind me to make sure we weren't being trailed by a suspicious musician or security guard. I was too tired to argue with her fanatical fantasies - way more tired than usual. I thought with Cecily I would at least get some sleep.

As I reached the door, I heard a squeal of delight and then a bang of piano keys. I shook my head and leaned against the door frame as Cecily tapped out a little melody. "What has gotten into you?" I asked, raising an eyebrow suspiciously.

She shrugged, then hiccuped. Her eyes went wide and she looked at me bashfully.

"You're drunk, aren't you?"