"having trouble in paradise with the prince? you've kept your distance from him all morning" the lieutenant smirks. Yanmei's face hardens as she glares at him. she didn't like him. he was a dick.

"my personal life is none of your business so I suggest you shut your mouth" she snaps at the lieutenant.

"sounds like you and your boyfriend need to learn respect..."

"he's not my boyfriend!" Yanmei roars angrily just as the prince and Iroh walk onto the deck.

"is something wrong, Yanmei?" Iroh asks.

Yanmei shakes her head, "no, Iroh, I was just making sure the lieutenant knew that he has no right to talk about my personal life. it is personal for a reason"

the lieutenant scoffed, "you have no authority over me, little girl. you're just an orphan, the Fire Lord took you in as his property"

Zuko storms over to the man with a scowl, "you will not speak to her that way. you'd better learn some respect, or I will teach it to you" he said, shoving a finger in the lieutenant's chest.

"what do you know about respect?" the lieutenant spat, "the way you talk to everyone here from your hard working crew, to your esteemed uncle, to this girl who you treat like a helpless child shows you know nothing about respect!"

Iroh slaps his hand onto his forehead, knowing things won't end well. Yanmei puts her head down, knowing that the lieutenant was right.

ever since they left the fire nation, Zuko didn't treat her the same. he acted as if she was a fragile doll who would break or get lost if she left the ship alone. for the first year he wouldn't let her go anywhere by herself, fearing that one of the other men would take advantage of her because she was pretty and available. Yanmei felt like she was suffocated while on the fire nation ship, and she hated it. she knew Zuko had good intention, and she couldn't stay mad at him, but she wanted to be independent sometimes.

"you don't care about anyone but yourself! then again, what should I expect from a spoiled prince?"

Yanmei saw Zuko's eye twitch. he turned around and stood in a fighting stance. the lieutenant copied his moves and the two clashes their arms together, steam coming off of Zuko's.

"enough!" Iroh shouts and pushes the men away from each other, "we are all a bit tired from being at sea so long. i'm sure after a bowl of noodles, everyone will feel much better"

the two back away from each other. Zuko is the first to speak. "i don't need your help keeping order on my ship"

Iroh tries to put a hand on his nephews shoulder but he shakes it off and walks off.

Yanmei walks up to Iroh and rubs his arm comfortingly, "he'll be alright, Iroh. it's best for him to be alone right now" she sighs.

Iroh looks at the girl with an apologetic frown, "I apologize for what the lieutenant said to you. that is no way to talk to a lady"

"it's alright, Iroh" she tried smiled, "now let's go eat some noodles"

++++++++++++

"i'm sick of taking his orders! i'm tired of chasing his Avatar! I mean, who does Zuko think he really is!?" the lieutenant ranted as he sat around a fire with some other crew members.

"do you really want to know?" a voice spoke from the shadows.

"general Iroh! we were just-"