Chapter 25

Roman's POV

I opened another door and sighed, though maybe I shouldn't have. I looked down the hallway one more time at the unconscious bodies I'd left in my wake before slipping inside.

The room smelled of sweat and blood. Virgil hung by his wrists from the ceiling in the center of the room. His body was dirty, covered in cuts, bruises, and burns.

It made my stomach churn. I eased the door shut quietly, then rushed toward him, tossing my mask to the ground.

His pulse was weak and his breathing labored, but they were there.

Reaching up, I broke the first chain, then the second, barely catching him before he thudded to the floor.

Virgil's POV

I came to when my knees hit concrete.  I was too exhausted—too hurt—to keep my head from falling as well, but warm, solid arms rescued me. Fingers ran through my hair, the hand that they belonged to pulling my face close to someone's chest.

"I have you; I have you."

The voice was familiar, so familiar that I knew it by heart. "Roman?"

"You're okay. I'm here."

I hugged him with what little strength I had, though I still couldn't bring my eyes to open; a small voice in my head told me he wasn't really there. Why is he here? I buried my face in his shoulder, not wanting the answer but knowing I needed to ask. "Roman, why are you here?"

"To... bring you home, Virge," he said gently as though it were obvious.

I shook my head again the nape of his neck, squeezing him a little tighter. "You can't be here. You need to go. They can't find you here; it's not safe."

The fabric of his clothing tickled my nose. I recognized it, but I just couldn't place it.

He sighed, still playing with my hair. "I can handle myself." Pausing for just a moment, he continued, "Virge, there's something you should know."

My anxiety spiked. I couldn't help but tighten my grip on him.

He pulled out of our hug, his hands finding my shoulders.

My eyes fluttered open as he pushed me back. I looked at his outfit—the red and white spandex with accents of gold. It was tight everywhere except for the train of pure red that flowed from his shoulders. It was an outfit that I'd become so familiar with.

I must have stared blankly for too long because he reached for my hand. "Virge..."

I looked deep into those red eyes that I'd fallen for twice. Completely terrified, I uttered, "You're joking, right?"

Obvious by his expression, he had no idea what I meant. "Virge, I'm sorry I didn't tell you. I thought it was for the best."

I shook my head, scooting back despite my weakness. "No, Roman, you don't get it." My face dropped as a dreaded idea popped into my head. I looked around in rage. "This is a trick. If-If this is a trick, this-this is the worst thing you could have possibly done!"

Roman grabbed my arms harshly.

"Don't touch me!" I yelled. Energy ripped through my body, vibrating my bones. It sent him flying, skidding along the ground until he hit the wall. It cracked with the force. Shit... "This isn't in my head, is it?"

He shook his head, his eyes wide. He didn't try to move from where he sat.

Shit, shit, shit. "Fuck," I mumbled, taking a shuddered breath. "Roman... Roman..." I tried to stand—to get my feet under me—but I only slid back to the ground. "Please don't freak out; if-if you freak out, then I'm gonna freak out, and-and when I freak out, a-a lot of people get hurt."