Chapter 12

Virgil's POV

I couldn't move. Agony ripped through my body and I screamed.

The pain subsided slowly, as though someone was taking it away.  I was grabbed by the hair, forcing me to look someone in the face, though I couldn't make out who.  "You will give me what I want, Virgil," they said.  "All in due time."  They released me.

I writhed in pain once again.

I screamed, sitting bolt upright.

A plant pot across the room shattered.

I looked around my bedroom, feeling eyes on me—prying—though I was sure no one was there.  I rolled out of bed, looking at the clock.

5:33.  "Fuck."

———

I worked away on my laptop in my classroom, not on any of my work but on a more personal matter.  Only the bright light of the screen was keeping my eyes open at that point.  I yawned, wishing I could sleep. Alas, the idea alone terrified me, and it'd been a week since I'd had a decent night's rest.  I yawned again.  "Fuck me."

"Allow me to buy you dinner first."

I jumped, not arming my powers only because I was at work.  "Jesus," I sighed when I recognized their face.  "Roman, you scared me."

He chuckled, shaking his head.  "What are you still doing here?  It's even later than the last time I caught you."

Do I tell him?  I sighed, and, despite the anxiety beginning to grow in me, I began to speak.  "I... haven't slept well; I've barely slept at all in the past week."  I dropped my head.  "There's this feeling...   Awake or asleep, I feel as though I'm being watched."

Roman looked concerned; his red eyes genuinely looked worried for me.  "That...  That's terrifying.  You have another place to stay, right?"

"No, of course not," I laughed before I could bite my tongue.

He pushed off the closed door and I knew I'd fucked up.  "Stay with me."

I choked on my breath.  "Roman, no.  I could never."

"Virgil, yes, you could."  He stepped closer.  "You don't feel safe.  If you can rest comfortably for one night, it'll ease my conscience."

"No."

"Yes."

"No."

"Yes, Virgil."

The idea of sleeping sounded so comforting... and with Roman.  Though I didn't like it, my heart fluttered.

Roman's POV

The car ride was uncomfortably silent and it was getting on my nerves.

"Hey, Virgil?  I'm curious.  Do you have powers?" I asked finally.

After a second, he said, "No, nor do I wish I did."

I glanced his way.  "Why's that?  I find them rather useful."

He scoffed.  "Sure, you can look at it that way, but I see it differently.  Powers get in the way; they hurt and... deceive, and that's all they're good for."

I tried not to be a little hurt by his statement.  "Why do you feel so strongly that way?"

"Someone...  Someone I care about dearly...  He'll never be the same because of Nightmare."

I was just hoping for some light-hearted 'Yeah, I can bend light' or whatever.  I never expected something like that.  I decided to change the subject.  "So, when you're at home, what exactly happens?"

"Nothing ever actually happens, which might be the worst part of it all... except for the nightmares."

I pulled into the parking garage of my apartment building.  "What are the nightmares like?"  I opened my car door, but he didn't move.

He sat there for a minute.  "I'm being t-tortured... or-or interrogated; maybe it's both.  The method's always different but the questions and threats are always the same."  He got out of the car finally.  Looking me in the eye, he asked, "Do you have anything to drink?"

Virgil's POV

I giggled, though, even seconds later, I couldn't remember what Roman had said that was so funny.  How much did I have to drink?

"No, seriously.  Your kids are terrified of you."  Roman laughed.  His face was so close and his breath smelled of alcohol.

"Good!  They get their work done when they're scared."  I couldn't help but laugh, too.  I looked into his eyes, and before I knew it, we were both howling.

Suddenly, we were tumbling off the couch with me landing on top of Roman.

I sobered up quickly.

Roman still chuckled to himself.  I moved to get off, but he grabbed my wrists, effectively holding me in place, even pulling me closer.

How is he so strong?  I stared into his eyes and saw a look—one of those looks I dreaded and fantasized about.  Even so, I knew it wasn't right.  "Roman, no.  You're drunk; we are both drunk. Neither one of us is thinking straight-"

He pulled me closer, leaning in just a bit as well.  "That's the point."

Poor choice of words.

His gaze dancing from my eyes to my lips, then back again.  "I want this, drunk or sober."  Suddenly, he was flipping us over, landing on top of me.  "Virgil, I won't force you to do anything." His eyes gleamed with hope.

Quietly, I asked, "If I... say that I don't what this...?"  I couldn't for the life of me catch my breath.

He didn't hide his disappointment.  "Then things'll go back to the way they were before.  Nothing will change; I can promise you that."

Now was my chance, but did I want to say yes?  It was a bad idea; that was the one thing I knew for sure.  But I want this...  "You're sure about this?"

"Yes."

Meekly, I whispered, "Okay."

Roman attacked my lips, and I gave in instantly.  The kiss was long and desperate until Roman finally pulled away.  I gasped for air.  He kissed my jaw, my neck, my collar bone, his teeth grazing my skin the entire way.  He bit down, and I stifled the moan that escaped my lips.  His left hand released my wrist and began to pull up my shirt.

I froze.

His hand slid up my side, tickling my skin.

I grabbed him.  I can't breathe.  "Ro-Ro-Roman, stop, please."

He obliged instantly, pulling away and sitting upright.  "I'm sorry.  Are you okay?"

Roman's POV

When Virgil looked at me, his dark eyes seemed not so dark, and I could have sworn there was some color there.  He sat up.  "Roman, I like you."  I tried to say something, but he held up his finger, silencing me.   "I like you," he repeated, "but if all you want out of this is some drunk one-night-stand, I'll leave now.  I want more out of this."

I hesitated.  "Like, relationship more?"

I looked at his hands to find them shaking, though he quickly hid them behind his back.  It was obvious he was hiding something, but I didn't press—not now, not when he was like this.  "I don't know.  If that's where it leads, then sure."

I thought about Nightmare, or Raven—what was I supposed to call him now?  I knew that relationship would never work; we didn't even know what each other looked like.  I don't know his name.  Virgil was kind when he needed to be—real, too.  He knew me, not the side of me that wore the cape.

I smiled.  "Yeah, I think I'd like that."