Chapter 17

Roman's POV

I paced my living room. Virgil had gone home not too long ago, saying he needed clothes for work in the morning. Now, I had my own work to do.

There was a feeling—a vibe—I got whenever Nightmare reached out. It was like being frozen in ice, then roasted over a fire. I wanted to tap into that feeling again so I could contact him. I needed to know why—or better yet how—he knew Deceit. I wondered if, perhaps, he knew Virgil, too.

Nightmare.

Nothing.

Nightmare!

Nothing.

I tried a few more times, then groaned, falling down onto the couch. N, answer me, goddammit!

"Would you shut up already?" A long sigh echoed in my head. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to snap. Is everything alright? Are you okay?"

Yes, I'm fine. I just... Can we meet somewhere? I need to walk to you.

"Jeez, Princey. You really know how to scare a guy."

Your base? I knew how persistent I was being, but the idea of Virgil being anywhere near him during one of his panic attacks scared me more than anything.

"Yeah... Yeah, I'll be right over."

Virgil's POV

I got everything in order at my apartment, then left. As I walked down the sidewalk, a knife in one of my sweatshirt pockets and my mask in the other, the sound of footsteps behind me had me on high alert.

With one glance over my shoulder, I pretended like I didn't see the figure hiding in the shadows and turned the corner.

In the alley, I had a few seconds before they caught up with me. I slipped on my mask as I teleported.

The base was dark. Any normal person wouldn't have noticed the caped figure sitting by the window. "Seriously, Princey, I don't have the energy for this." I would have sat down if I didn't think I'd pass out right there.

"Then I'll make this fast. N, do you know Virgil Pearce?"

I froze at my own name, my eyes going wide in shock. "I..." My breaths came in short gasps. I began to shake.

He stood, his arms crossed. "I take that as a yes then."

"You can't... You-You can't just..." Words failed me, and I wound up pacing.

"How long? How long have you known him?"

"How-How do you know him?" I stuttered.

"I can't answer that."

I scoffed. "And you think that I can? I... Any of that information could jeopardize my identity."

He stepped forward, but I would not back down. "I don't give a shit about your identity right now!" Prince snapped. "I'm here for Virge and Virge only! Tell me how the hell you know him now!"

I had no idea who he was or how he knew me, but I didn't let just anyone call me that nickname. I could lie, just to get him off my back. I shook my head at my own thoughts. No, there's no point and you know it. "Okay, I'm really doing this shit... Jesus fuck..." I squeezed my eyes shut. "I've known... Virgil"—it felt strange saying my own name—"and his brother-"

"Janus, aka Deceit."

I tried not to think about that night. "Yeah. I've known those two for over 15 years—since I was about ten. At first, Virge hated me, but Janus and I got closer. Janus thought my powers were fun and fascinating; he taught me to control them the way his mother taught him to control his. Slowly, Virgil warmed up to me becoming a more permanent part of his life.

"And then I went and fucked everything up. Janus, despite everything I did to him... He didn't change how he treated me, even from behind bars."

"Virgil hates you."

I nodded. "Janus acts as a... peaceful mediator between the two of us."

Prince looked like he was rebooting as he took in all of the information. Finally, he said, "Thank you." He turned toward the window.

I teleported in front of him. "We're not done, Princey. I have my own damn questions, and you're gonna answer them. Do I make myself clear?"

"I suppose you deserve that much. I'm sorry I raised my voice." He moved to the couch and sat down.

I rubbed my eyes, careful not to displace my mask. "How do you know Virgil?"

"We're friends," he replied nonchalantly.

I laughed. "He doesn't have many friends. Really, that's quite a short list." Who is he...? Nope, too tired. I'll deal with it later. "Why are you so obsessed with what happened two years ago?"

"Huh." He stared at me for a second. "I don't know. I mean, I suppose that, because it's a mystery, I just want it solved."

My eyelids left so heavy. "Do you really care about Virge?"

He nodded. "I do; I really do." He stood, walking over to me. "Are you okay?"

"No. No, no, no. Your question time is over."

Prince pulled me into a kiss, one hand on my waist, the other on my cheek, keeping my face close.

I forced my lips away, though just barely. Our breaths mingled together as I whispered, "We shouldn't... I-I shouldn't do this." What about Roman? Even so, I leaned back in.