Chapter 19

Virgil's POV

I hadn't seen anyone in days. After kicking Roman out Monday, I'd called vacation for two weeks—as long as I could manage—saying that I'd had a family emergency. Patton and Logan had both been by, but I hadn't answered the door. I sat in the corner of my living room on my laptop, duct tape over the camera. I knew it was breaking Patton's heart—I could feel it every time he walked away—but it was for his own good; I was only doing to keep them safe.

My mind chilled and I closed my eyes, feeling my powers begin to activate.

"N? N, are you there?" Prince called.

I dropped my head, pretending I had a headache. No, I'm not. Leave me alone; I'm very busy.

"Busy doing what? You've been MIA since-"

Since you questioned me about how much I knew about an old friend?

"Yeah; yeah, I did that. I am sorry. Where are you? Patton and Logan are worried."

Princey, listen to me when I say this: stay away. It's for your own good. You can tell the other two the same.

The connection faded and I finally relaxed. I mean it, Prince, I thought. Stay away.

———

As I laid in bed, staring at the back of my eyelids, I knew my time had come. Whoever had been watching me for so long was coming. I was sure there was little I could do to stop them now, not that I wouldn't try.

My senses spiked. I froze, suddenly unable to breathe.

Someone's outside your door.

Anxiety filled my chest.

They're in your home. Deep breaths now. Take them out one by one. That shouldn't be hard; they all feel pretty weak.

I remained still, keeping my breathing steady as I targetted the closest and weakest minds. I felt them slip unconscious—felt the threat slip off my radar.

Their colleagues began to panic, heading for my bedroom faster.

Okay, not good. Time to get up.

I jumped out of bed, flinging my blankets off my body. I ran over to my phone just as the door to my bedroom opened. I flung them across the room, knocking them out on the wall. I shoved past them into my living room, incapacitating whoever I could on the way. I dialed the most recent number.

"Hello?" a husky voice mumbled.

I sent more flying. "Roman, I-I need your help." I was already getting tired—already slowing down.

"Virge?"

"Roman... Roman, you have to listen to me. Get Patton here; get Patton here." I felt a sharp sting in my neck and I screamed. A pulse erupted from my body, sending anyone near flying. My vision went hazy.

"Virgil, what was that? Are you okay? What's going on?" Roman asked through the phone.

"Roman... I love you..."

The world went black.