Chapter 10

http://chng.it/d6PBngQwpG
Please look at that link! It's really important! Support the Equality Act!

Virgil's POV

I sat down at the table, staring into the window in front of me—into the completely different world beyond. Around me, conversations were being carried out despite the circumstances. Silently, I waited to have my own chance to speak.

Minutes passed and I'd almost given up hope. Finally, however, the door on the other side opened.

A familiar face stepped up to the glass. He took his seat.

I picked up the phone, and he mirrored my action. "You look well," I commented.

"I'm sure I look fabulous." He was as skilled at sarcasm as I was.

I sighed, unable to stop myself from meeting his yellow-ish, lime eyes. However, his unnatural face made me turn away.

He chuckled. "Even after you did this to me, you can't look me in the eye—still? Not after two years?" His voice filled my ear.

I kept my head down.

"Look at my face, Virgil."

"No." Deep breaths.  You promised Mom you'd come to see him.

"Look at me!"

A woman on the other side yelled, "Hey, settle down!"

Deep breaths. People were looking now, so I raised my head, glaring at the disfigurement of the left side of his face, something that was my fault. "Janus—"

"I don't go by that name anymore."

"But, it's still your name; it's the name Mom gave you."

He shook his head, a smile growing. "Not anymore, just like Virgil isn't yours." He leaned in, pressing the plastic phone right up against his mouth. He whispered, "Nightmare."

I looked around the room, though I was sure no one heard him. A switch flipped in my brain. "Very well, Deceit. We can play this game." Deep breaths, I told myself one more time, though not because I was worried anymore; now, I was pissed because, for the first time in two years, I'd given into my brother's tauntings.

I looked at his face again—half-human, half-snake. I'd done that to him. I'd put him in prison, too.

"Deceit, how are you, really?"

"Tired," he admitted.

I looked down at my hands, then at his through the glass.

Metal cuffs encased his wrists, a red stripe in the center of them glowing familiarly bright.

"What..." I pointed.  "Janus—Deceit, what are those?"

He looked down then rolled his eyes. "The inmates are calling them Avoidance. The guards put them on all the Paragons in here. It was in the news for a while; didn't you see it?"

"I avoid the news. I'm sure you can imagine why. They put them on you, though? You can't even access your powers."

"No one can prove that. I'm just as dangerous as the rest, especially as a shapeshifter." He caught himself, "Former shapeshifter, thanks to you."

"Should I just go?"

He sighed. "Now, don't be like that. I look forward to these visits; I really do."

"I know, and, if I knew why you couldn't access your powers, I'd fix it all, but I don't..." I looked at the clock on the wall. "I should go."

He stuck out his lower lip. "So soon?"

"Yeah, I'm sorry." I laughed. "I'll try to stay longer next month, but I have a shit-ton of work I need to get done."

We said our goodbyes.

As I walked out of the prison, I pulled out my phone. "Hey, Logan. Grab Patton and meet me at the old base in half an hour. It's important."

"See you there."

I hung up. I called a taxi next, then took a long, steadying breath. Prince?

"You're not bleeding out in an alley again, are you?" he asked back, sounding both like he was joking and worried for me.

No, not this time. I need you to meet me somewhere.

"Where?"

My old base—the place I took you the night you got shot. It is business-related, so Patton and Logan will be there, too.

The taxi pulled up and I hopped in, letting the driver know where I was going. I closed my eyes so he wouldn't realize I was using my powers.

"How soon do I have to be there?"

Half an hour. Less if you can.

"I'll see you there."

I grabbed my phone again, dialing a different number.

The person on the other line picked up instantly, their voice filling me with anxiety. "Virgil, I've been waiting to hear from you."