Chapter 21

Roman's POV

It felt wrong to be at N's base, but Patt assured me he wouldn't be by. There was a computer there that worked and that's what mattered.

Logan stuck in the flash drive and a folder opened.

There were numerous files and video logs. One video had my name on it; two others had Logan's and Patton's.

"What..." I read over my name again and again. "What is this?"

Logan shrugged. "The only way to find out is by looking at it."

Patt grabbed his husband's shoulder. "Wait." He turned to me. "You and Virgil-"

"What about us?" I interrupted.

He looked at me with kindness in his eyes. "I can tell you two are close. If you want, we can give you privacy to watch it."

I nodded. "Yes, please. The last time we saw each other..."

"I understand." He took Logan's hand and led him out of the room.

I sat down at the desk and clicked on the video.

Virgil's POV

I grunted with each blow that landed to my gut, my face, even my crotch once. Why the hell not? I asked myself as these people used me as a punching bag.

The door in front of me opened, causing the three men to stop. Isaac walked in. He shook his head at me before dismissing my tormentors. "Have you reconsidered your answer?"

"What was the question again?" I joked. "After so many blows to the head, everything's a little... fuzzy."

He marched over and grabbed me by the hair, forcing me to look at him.

I just smiled, even as my eyes wouldn't focus on Isaac's face.

He shoved me away, regaining his composure. "Virgil... Please don't test me. Now, your powers, what are they?"

"Nonexistent?"

The door opened again. "Sir," a young woman said, "it's been six hours."

"Very well. Bring it in."

Two men stepped in, one holding a syringe full of a red liquid. This was my second dose. I'd fought them the first time; I wasn't so sure I could do the same again. One grabbed me. I used all my strength against him, but the other imbedded the needle in my neck. The drug felt like it was attacking my insides.

But I didn't so much as flinch.