Coping

Steve had asked me to accompany him to Romania to visit Wanda and Vision. I was more then willing, except I wanted to be close to Bucky. Shuri had begun the work on his mind and while he was no longer in his frozen state, he was still in a chemical coma.

"I just don't think I can leave him right now." I had told Steve, as I regained my footing. I kept my arms up and ready for him to move.

"It's just for a few days, Jess. You could use the break." Steve said as he faked toward me.

"Tell ya what, you win and I'll go." I rolled my shoulders quickly as I saw his smirk in reply.

"Deal!" Steve said as he came at me.

I had dodged his initial lunge, but he proved how badly I needed to get out of my own head. It wasn't more then a few minutes later that he had me pinned on the floor and I was calling it.

"Alright... Alright.." I said as I tapped his arm. "I'll go!"

He released me from the tight grip of his arms. I took a few deep breaths and sat up, I looked up to Steve and shook my head. Nothing in me wanted to go, but a deal is a deal.

"When are you leaving?" I asked as I took his hand to help me from the floor, my tone thick with defeat and lacking desire to really go.

"In a few hours."

"You suck..." I said as I walked to my bag. "I'll meet you at the jet."

I threw my gear in my bag and headed straight for Bucky. I didn't know if I would get time to see him before I left I didn't go now. I knew that he would be in the medical ward, with Shuri's watchful eye on him.

As I walked into the room, Shuri hummed a hello. Her eyes were intent on the image before her. I sat down behind her and watched as she worked on the digital image of Bucky's brain in front of her, much as she had done for me. She stopped and turned the machine off, turning towards me with a concerned look.

"Something I need to know?" I asked, my brow tight and my hands being rung out like a wet rag in front of me.

"This is going to be harder than it was for you." Shuri began, "He is strong and a fighter, but the emotional toll on him will be difficult."

"I'll be there for him, to help every step." I met Shuri's gaze with intent.

"Jess, I want you to understand that I will have much to teach him when he comes to. Just like I did with you."

I watched her closely, waiting for further explanation.

"There were several weeks I had to send Captain Rogers away, so that he did not distract you mentally from the task at hand. You need to be ready to go if I tell you to."

I trusted Shuri, I knew that she could help my husband and I wasn't about to interfere. "I'll do whatever you tell me to."

"Good, you need to leave with Captain Rogers."

I nodded, without hesitation. She didn't need to know that I was already planning to.

"You also need to know, that I will be waking him up as soon as you are gone. I don't want him distracted and I don't want you to have the urge to interfere." She folded her hands in front of her.

I nodded, looking behind her to Bucky's lifeless body. I looked back to Shuri as she stood aside. I rose from my seat and walked over. I placed my hand on his hand, the sleeve of my hoodie touching his wrist as I ran my fingers over his hand. I pulled a folded piece of paper from my pocket, I had a hunch this was coming. Something in me told me this wasn't an accident.