Unspoken Pact

I reached for the guiding hand of my protector as I stepped off the last step of the bus we road to a new town. I saw many signs along the way that said 'Bucharest'. I assumed that's where we were. I followed as he guided me through the streets and down the alleys. He knew where he was going, and I trusted his guidance. I held his hand tightly and kept pace with him without a problem. 

We came to a corner and stopped, I took the moment to look around and take in the environment. He spoke to a group of gentleman that were sitting on plastic chairs. I got lost in the paint that was haphazardly sprayed on the side of a nearby building. Taking in the mix of colors and styles in just the few feet of space that was visible. I heard him continue to talk as my eyes traced the lines and details.

I felt the tug at my hand once more and we were moving. I kept his pace, my eyes on the direction in front of us, no longer surveying my surroundings. We arrived at a corner where cars were parked along the sides of the road. It wasn't busy, in fact it was very quiet. The walls had the same painting all along the outside of them. He knocked on a door and spoke with a gentleman in the doorway. 

I kept to myself and allowed my eyes to trace the lines of the nearby walls and the paint that scattered them. Once again there was a verbal exchange and I felt him release my hand. I shot my head back to him and watched as he removed the backpack and handed it to me. I took the straps in my hand and he unzipped it, getting some paper from the bag and zipped it back up. I held the bag tight as he handed the paper to the man, who in turn handed a set of keys to my protector. He nodded at him and the man in the doorway pointed and said something. I wasn't sure what he was saying, but I trust my protector. 

He took my hand in his and walked away. I still clutched the backpack in my hand, when I stopped suddenly and took my hand away, he froze. I saw fear cover his face, as I put the backpack on my back as he had done and then quickly took his hand again. He let out a sigh and we moved quickly. His fingers held mine tightly, like he was afraid I would slip out of his grasp if I let him go. 

We arrived at building just a block away. I heard the keys he had jingle and I listened to the creek of the door as it opened. We stepped inside and stood in a stairway. He looked up and I nodded. We began the climb, flight after flight of stairs. 

I began counting turns as we completed each set of stairs, it was on the 11th turn that we stopped, there was no where else to go. I heard the keys jingle once again and the brown door in front of me opened with a quiet creek. 

Inside was a short hallway that led to an open space, I stepped inside and I took in the area. There was an ice box directly opposite where I stood, to my left was a wooden door and there was a small couch directly between me and the icebox. 

I looked around more and watched as Bucky began to pick up the newspaper from the counter and lay it over the windows. I didn't understand why, but I tried to help. Opening each sheet for him as he placed it over the windows. He nodded at me as I handed him the last sheet we had. The paper covered most of the windows, but we would need more to fully cover the glass. He began checking the cupboards, finding them empty. I checked behind the wooden door and found a small washroom with a tub, it looked like it had not been cleaned in years. I glanced to Bucky and began to examine the couch. It seemed safe, as I placed the cushions back in place. 

Was this going to be home? I began to wander if it was ok to relax. I took one more look to Bucky and he nodded at me slowly. This was home, for now. I began to familiarize myself with the setting. Running my fingers along the surfaces. I paused as I watched Bucky go to the door. I turned to follow and put his hand up as if to tell me to stop. 

"Stay." He said it calmly and walked out the door. I heard the door latch closed and I heard his key latch the lock in the door. I wasn't locked in, as I saw the lock move. It was as if he locked it to make sure I was safe.