Into Tomorrow

The days that followed our arrival to the place we were in consisted of my staying put and Bucky leaving the apartment. Bucky would leave for short bursts or long periods. I never knew which was happening. Some days he returned with bags or items, like one night he came back with a bed. Another night he came back with clothes for me, and more drawing supplies. 

At night I would fall asleep on the couch, encouraging him to take the bed. When morning came I would find us nestled together on the bed. The bed was not large, in fact it was a surprise we both fit on the bed with out falling off. 

I would remember small details from my sleep. Unsure if these were memories or dreams that my mind created to help me cope. So often in the dreams I would see fires and bright lights. Sometimes it was whole rooms on fire, rooms I did not recognize and other times it was myself on fire. In those dreams I could hear my screams as they resonated through my body. I don't know if it was the nightmares that caused me to move or if my protector would rouse me enough so that I would come close to him.

I was thankful for his strong arms around me, as I would wake up I would recall the day he saved me and how safe I felt in his grasp. I always became excited within myself when Bucky would return, as I always felt safer when he was near.

It was one of these moments that Bucky had just returned, his hands were empty and he had come in and sat on the couch right away. I had learned to use the kitchen and cook a few meals, nothing fancy but it was edible and not burnt. 

I was in the process of cooking while he sat on the couch, thumbing through a book that had been sitting on the shelf. I still was struggling with my muscles betraying me and the long duration of silence was becoming maddening. As I stirred the bowl of ingredients and I began to think to myself.

I wander if he can hear me or just reads body language that good.

"Of course I can hear you." I heard as his response and I froze. The shock of the moment caused the spoon I was using to hit the floor with a loud clang. Bucky spun around and looked at me, my brown eyes were wide open and my brown hair sat pulled back in a hair tie. 

I didn't say anything. I thought as I looked him in his eyes. I watched his eyes widen, as the realization occurred to him, that I wasn't talking. He stood and quickly walked over to me. His brow was furrowed his eyes scanned my face. His hands touched my cheek and then traced my lips. Like he was looking for something that said I was playing a trick.

Bucky, can you really hear me?

"Yes, I can hear you, Jesse." His fingers were on my lips as my thoughts came through my head. I was frozen in the spot I was in, how do I process what is going on. He just kept looking my face over, his blue eyes frozen on my brown ones. I felt my heart race and my skin warm up. 

Can you feel what I feel right now?  I began to think, as I brought my hand up to the wrist of the hand that was on my face. 

"Maybe." He spoke softly. I had never heard him speak without being gruff and firm. I felt the fingertips leave my lips and linger on my chin. He lifted my head slowly to look up to him, I felt his breath on my pale face as he slowly exhaled as he came closer. His lips collided with mine in a soft collision of passion. 

My one free hand was placed upon his chest as his lips continued to caress my skin. His lips pressed against mine repeatedly, before I felt his tongue caress my bottom lip. I parted my lips slightly and felt his tongue massage against my tongue and I replicated the action. I felt my body heating up and it was several moments in that I pulled back. I was breathing heavily and needing air. Bucky stepped back, his eyes went wide and he began to apologize repeatedly.