Chapter 8 - New Guy

Chapter 8 – New Guy

The next few days passed in a blur. Aiden became the new “attraction” of the school, and he knew it too. I was his guide, and I could tell many girls were jealous. If looks could kill, almost the whole cohort of girls would have been in jail by the end of the week. Aiden was being annoyingly flirtatious, winking at girls, smiling oh-so-sexily at them when they caught their eye, causing them to swoon and look like they were about to pass out. Maybe I was just jealous. Maybe. I guess I was kind of lucky. Seeing as how most of the girls would have killed to be in my position. I mean, who could resist Aiden’s handsome face and charm? Exactly. No one. Even some of the geeks showed interest in the new guy. I was no longer the buzz around the school, not that I minded, of course. I was actually pretty relieved. All the attention and stares were beginning to annoy me.

Kasey, Shay and Courtney all knew about what had happened with Luke and all started to send him death glares every time they saw him, which amused me. Everything was going well so far, and today was a Friday, so I was in a particularly good mood. I walked into school with a skip in my step and a slight smile on my face. Suddenly, my phone buzzed, startling me and causing me to drop a few of my books, earning a few snickers from the other boys and girls. My face heated up as I pulled out my phone to check my message. It was from Luke. I should’ve deleted his number as soon as the “date” ended. Still, I was a little excited to see what he said and unlocked my phone.

I’m sorry about the other day. Can we talk?

“About time he said that.” I thought to myself as I typed out a short reply.

Where?

His reply came almost instantaneously.

By the fountain, there’s still about ten minutes before homeroom.

Sure.

I tried to be as cold to him as possible, I still hadn’t forgiven him.

With that I switched my phone off and headed to the fountain behind the school. At least it was secluded. That way few people would see us. He was already waiting there for me as I made my way to him, keeping my distance from him when I stopped in front of him.

He scratched his neck awkwardly and shoved his hands into his pockets.

“Hey.” He greeted me.

“Hey, you wanted to talk?”

“I know that you may not believe me, but I need you to listen to what I have to say, alright?”

I nodded, keeping my face expressionless.

“At the start of the year, Greg and I made a bet. We knew that there was going to be a new girl at the start of the year and Greg said that if I could take her out he’d give me fifty bucks. I guess I never realised that the new girl would be someone like you. I was so guilty when I found out that I could not back out of the bet and I had to go with it anyway. You really are an amazing person, Andrea, and you’re so great. I enjoy your company and you make me smile every time. I know how cheesy this sounds, but you really make me happy. And I’m really sorry about the bet, but I want you to know that I enjoyed every minute that we were at that café. I’m sorry Andrea, and if there was anything I could do to make us okay again, name it. I’ll do it.”

That was by far the sweetest thing someone had said to me this whole year. I smiled up at him, how could I not forgive him after what he just said? Sure, he was kind of a jerk for even making a bet with his idiot of a friend, but he was so sweet.

“You don’t have to do anything, Luke. We’re okay.” I said to him.

He let out a sigh of relief and grinned.