Chapter 7 - And He Said

Chapter 7 – And He Said

“Aiden?” were the first words out of my mouth.

I couldn’t believe this. He couldn’t be back, not when I was almost over him. Now he was back? What if he was back for good? He interrupted my thoughts and said, “Don’t look so shocked, I was only gone for year.”

My jaw was still on the ground. I still found it hard to process. I rubbed my eyes and blinked several times, to make sure I wasn’t hallucinating. It took some effort before I finally managed out, “What are you doing here?”

“Uhm, yeah, that’s what I wanted to talk to you about. Can I..?” he asked awkwardly, gesturing to the empty space next to me on the bench.

Still stunned, I blinked again and said, “Yeah uh sure.”

It felt weird, since only a year ago it was so comfortable sitting next to him and now it felt like a fear I was facing. Maybe I was just afraid of what he had to say.

I glanced at him and took him in properly, his eyes were still as green, his hair a little darker and wavy and his lashes long and thick. He cleared his throat, not oblivious to my staring.

“Uh sorry it’s just, hard to believe that you’re back.” I said uncertainly.

He chuckled a little and I realised how much I missed his laugh. I sighed involuntarily and quickly slapped my hand over my mouth as it escaped my lips. He chuckled again, he took a deep breath and started explaining.

“So, I guess it all started when I called you up saying that I left to go to France didn’t I? And how I said that I was leaving with Lea. You see, it’s really complicated because Lea actually doesn’t exist.”

I was about to cut in but he held up his hand and continued.

“Lea was just someone I made up. And the only reason I made Lea up was because the real reason I was going to France was to visit my dad. He was living in France for his business, as you know. My dad got a heart attack on the day we agreed to meet at the park. I knew at once that I had to leave New York, and head to France. I realised that if I told you, you’d follow me and I didn’t want you to leave in the middle of the school year. I know how much good grades meant to you. So I made Lea up, so that you would know that I was going off with another girl and that way you wouldn’t follow me.” He wasn’t finished, I could tell. He took another deep breath, and went on.

“I asked my mum to lie as well, and you have no idea how much she was against it. She made me feel like shit. And I can tell you that when I called you that afternoon I felt like a fucking bastard. Lying to you was the worst thing I ever did.”

“Then why are you only back now?”  I asked.

“After his heart attack, dad was hit with lung cancer, I decided to take school there so that mum would at least know that someone would be there to visit dad after school. I took school there for one year. And after that, mum said that I should come back, and that she would go to France instead of me. So I came back and here I am.” He finished, with a sad look on his face.

“I’m sorry.” I whispered, taking in everything he just said.

He stared at me, incredulous.

“You’re sorry? Andrea! I should be the one apologizing! I lied to you.”

I understood his story, and a voice inside my heart told me to believe him. I smiled at him reassuringly and said, “None of us were in the wrong. He did nothing wrong you were just worried. About me.”

“Yeah, I was. You have no idea.” He let out a sigh and ran his hands though his hair.

“Well, now that you’re back, you might as well know that I switched from home school to public school.” I announced.