• Thirteen ~ Surprise! •

Start from the beginning

"Their left side is still as weak as it was from earlier in the year. Kennedy isn't full aware of her surroundings and has her back fully turned on goal so it'll be easy for Christen to take her out of the game to go through on goal. Tell Katie and Amy to pull a switch at the last minute to drag their defenders away so Christen to get through. As for our defense, they're doing fine. Becky has an amazing hold on Alex Morgan and Rachel has got a good control on reading Marta's moves. Tell them keep alert and to call for help from the defensive midfielders is they need it." She smiled at me gratefully and thanked me before walking in to the girls.

I walked back to my seat to see I was surrounded by the other USWNT girls. Lindsey was the first to notice me and stood up and hugged me. "It's so nice to see you again Lily." I smiled softly at her and greeted the others.

"You had quite the World Cup performance kid. Everyone is still talking about you." I looked over at Tobin Heath as she spoke. I smiled sheepishly and nodded my head.

"Yeah well. It's nothing big. I just did my part." The girls all chuckled and nodded their head. Lindsey and Emily sat next to me and we spoke about the game. We were still talking in the 75th minute when nothing interesting was happening. Amy made an appearance again and a few of the girls greeted her while I spoke with Laura.

Laura; Can you come down here for a few minutes? I can't break it down.

Me; Of course.

Amy and I both stood up and I said bye to the girls before following her down to the field. The girls were just given a water break from the heat as we arrived and Laura pulled me over to the huddled.

"Okay, I need yous all to keep your heads up. You're all crushing it out there. Especially you defense. Now midfielders and forwards I know you're all tired but we've got ten minutes left to pull off some magic. Chris and Amy, you guys think you can pull off a few megs and score? Ams you think you're ready to prove that you belong on the national team?" I looked between the two and they both nodded their heads with smiles on their faces.

"I am so proud of you all. We're going to win this game as a team okay?" They all nodded their heads with smiles. The ref blew his whistle and they all made their way back to the field. Christen looked back at me and I gave her a thumbs up.

I turned around and saw Laura looking at me with a small smile on her face. I nodded my head at her and walked over to sit with the girls. We were all on the edges of our seats when the play resumed. Christen has the ball and ran straight at the goals. Amy was a little ahead of her so she slipped her a pass through Alannah Kennedy's legs. Amy ran at goal with Ali Krieger coming at her. She saw Christen making the run so she back heeled it between Ali's legs to Christen. She was now one on one with Ashlyn and shot the ball.

We all stood in anticipation as we watched the ball rocket into the bottom corner. The stadium erupted in cheers and the subs bench ran to the sideline as Christen ran at them. Laura and the management team all hugged each other. I stood behind them and smiled softly as they all celebrated. Rachel jogged over to me and hugged me quickly before running back to her position.

The play resumed and the girls just dominated the last five minutes of the game. Amy had scored two goals thirty seconds between them. We all watched as the ref looked at his watch and blew the whistle signaling full time. The subs all ran out to the girl while Laura came straight to me. She stuck out her hand and I shook it. "We wouldn't have been here if it weren't for you. Thank you Lily." I smiled softly at her and nodded my head.

I watched as she ran to the girls. I looked around and saw Becky making her way to me. I tossed her a bottle of water and she accepted it gratefully. "So, will we be seeing you on the field next season?" I looked towards her and smiled softly. I looked out at the girls as they all celebrated.