10 | Let The Best Food Wins

Start from the beginning

This is where they're all struggling at. They can't manage to not get the cheese burn. But for me ... it's a piece of cake. I smiled when my side dish is perfect and delicious of course. Even though most of the asparagus is bad, there are some that's well hidden from view. And I thank God for that.

Also, ... don't they know mouldy cheese is the best?

"Ow!" I look up to my neighbour who just cut herself with the knife. Hah! Nobles. I bet they can't even cut butter without hurting themselves.

"It hurts," she's legit crying?! For heaven sake, it's just a small cut! I look up to her who's balling her eyes out while holding her bleeding finger. I sigh.

"Am I gonna die?" She asked no one in particular.

"I'm going to die! Nooo ..." she wails even harder while showing me her bleeding finger. Oh ... my God! I put down my knife and went to her station. I look around and actually wanted to laugh at her because the blood actually drips on her batter.

"Relax! It's just a small cut." This is what happens when you let someone who never been into the kitchen enters one.

"Please don't touch it. It hurts." She said between sobs.

"I won't. Don't worry. Let me see it," she did let me but I immediately grabbed her hand and wash it under running water. She legit just scream at me for doing so.

"I'm sorry but I have to do that or it'll be infected. If it gets infected, you will die," She finally shuts up. There should be a first aid kit somewhere. Where is it? Ah! There it is. I remove her hand from the water and grabbed the first aid kit. She looks at me with horror in her eyes.

"What are you doing?! No! It hurts! No!" She's such a child! Oh my God! Now I'm pissed!

"Stay! Give me your hand or I'll pour everything on your wound! And I mean everything I say!" She reminds me of my sisters. She finally gives up and presents her finger that got hurt.

"It is a small wound but if you keep it untreated, it can be deadly." She keeps her eye closed as I apply some ointment before putting a waterproof plaster around it.

"There. All done." I smiled before looking down at the things she's doing before getting hurt. I know I shouldn't do this but ... with her finger like that ... God, I hate myself for being so kind.

"What are you doing?" She asked when I decided to cut all the vegetable for her.

"There. All done. Now, get back to cooking." I simply said and went back to my station.

"Thank you," she said softly with a smile. Well ... at least there's one noble that actually smiled at me.

***

"What was that?! Why did you help princess Madeline's candidate?! You just helped your closes nemesis!" The duchess was furious when she came to see me.

"Because she was crying and I'm the type of person who can't just ignore when someone is in need of help." I truthfully said. The duchess sigh while shaking her head.

"I think that's a wonderful attitude to have. Thank you for helping Veronica. I was sure that she's not going to make it but you came for her aid." It's princess Madeline and that person whom I helped earlier.

"Thank you again," she smiled.

"Don't mention it. Did you get it checked by a professional?" She nods.

"They say it's nothing serious. Also, they mention about how fast your action was. So thanks to you, there won't be any scar." Honestly, it's just a small knife cut. What is wrong with these people?

"I wonder what kind of food did the commoner let the former empress eat with those bad ingredients. If she got sick in the end, it would be the end for her," a group of girls walk past us while 'whisper' loud enough for us to hear them.

"So it was your doing?" I asked.

"We have no idea what you're saying. Please don't talk to us. I don't want to have whatever you're having. Commoners are known to spread diseases to others. I don't know why the grand duchess insisted that people like you even breathe the same air as us." This bitch is too much.

"You do realise that your servants came from my part of hometown, right? Only God knows how you treated your servants," I was about to leave with my duchess when I felt someone's hand on my shoulder.

"You're pissing me off. Why can't you just go back to the gutter?!" Control yourself, Kathryn. You're a bigger person than these cockroaches.

"I know that look. You're going to hit me, right? Come one! Hit me! Hit me as hard as you can!" I smiled at her.

"I don't think you'll survive if I did hit you. Besides, I'm not the one who fooling myself in front of all these guests," her eyes widen when she notices the former empress and the emperor is watching her.

"You ... you little.."

"I think that is enough, Natania." It's that bitch Verona. So this is her candidate?! It's a wonder that they manage to find each other. She finally released me and followed her duchess.

"That was intense. You could easily stop the fight but you didn't, why Annabelle?" The princess asked. Yes, why Annabelle? Why do you always let my ass got kicked?

"Because I know she can fight her own battle. Besides, when you become the empress, there will be no one who will protect you against the world. She has to learn how to to be tough." That's her reason?

"May I have everyone's attention please." The former empress's chamberlain gained our attention by clicking the wine glass with a fork. We all turned to the emperor standing beside his mother.

"I would like to thank everyone who has been working hard for today's test. It was such a nice experience and mind-opening event for us all," her highness smiled.

"Everyone did such an amazing job cooking for both the emperor and I but out of all of you lovely ladies, we will only choose four of you to continue in this journey. For those who didn't make it, please don't feel bad. Your hard work will never be forgotten." Her majesty smiled.

"Without taking too much time away from the emperor, I would like to announce the names who will continue in this journey. Lady Luna, please come forward." duchess Annabelle clicked her tongue in annoyance.

"Should have known my brother will manage to get his candidate to be one of the four chosen one." Princess Madeline chuckled.

"Lady Luna does own her own restaurant. She did come by and cook for her customer from time to time. What do you expect? Of course her cooking suits my brother's taste." Now that's scary. That is one formidable opponent indeed.

"Lady Veronica." The princess giggled.

"Go ... stand by Luna," Veronica smiled at us all and went to stand beside Luna.

"Now I'm pissed. If you didn't get to be one of the four, I'll be really mad at you," I gulped down the lumps in my throat.

"Don't feel bad, Annabelle." The princess excuse herself and leave us both.

"Lady Natania," What the actual fuck?! Does that bitch actually manages to win a spot?! What is wrong with the emperor?! Does he really think that foul bitch really a good choice of bride?

"And lastly, Lady Kathryn. I'm sorry everyone. Do enjoy the refreshment that was prepared for you before leaving the palace. I hope we'll meet again in the future," Did I heard it wrong? Did she just announce my name?

"Ladies ... please, come with me." Her majesty said before she walks towards a door.

"What are you waiting for? Go!" The duchess pushes me towards the other girls. As I followed the majesty's, I bow my head a little when we walk past the emperor and his advisor.

"Congratulations... for scoring the highest score for the event." The emperor words capture my attention and so does the rest. He just smiled at me as he watched me go.

"You passed the test with top score?! How?!" Natania was curious. To be honest, so am I! How did I manage to get the highest score?! These royals probably have some screw loose or something.