Eight

𝕬𝖙𝖙𝖗𝖆𝖈𝖙𝖊𝖉

I bent my head down a little inhaling the aromatic scent of the bouquet of pink roses and small pink chrysanthemums in my hand. I stood there. Despite the struggle to find the words to say I feel a sudden flare of joy in my heart as butterflies flew wildly in my stomach.

"T - thank you." Almost breathlessly I murmured. I know that to rich people receiving flowers is a norm on the other hand this is my first time to be given with such. "You... didn't have to but... thank you."

"I hope you liked it."

"I did... thank you again." I gave him a smile. My mind is still in dazed trying to get hold of this sudden surge of foreign emotions in my chest. "W-what are you doing here anyway?" He never told me that he will come here today.

"I had a meeting somewhere near here so I decided to drop by. Is your father home?"

As if my dad heard Mr. Monterro's question he came out of the door. "Alice... Oh, I see we have a visitor, why don't you invite him in?"

"Dad! He... he's just—" Unsure of what to tell my dad. The creaking sound of our rusted gate made me turn back to Mr. Monterro. My eyes widened and my mouth gaped open as I saw him welcomed himself inside our lawn.

"Good afternoon, Sir." He said in a monotone voice.

"Good afternoon. Please come in. What do we owe this visit?"

"Dad –"

Mr. Monterro turned his head to my side and raised his brow. Blinking my eyes I cleared the lump in my throat. "D-dad... this is Mr. M- I mean Travis Monterro, m-my... b-boyfriend." My face heated up as I finish speaking with difficulty. I saw Mr. Monterro's amused eyes and smirk.

Dad's face paled and his whole body went rigid for a moment before he finally recovered. "M-monterro?" I can feel his tension in the air.

"Yes sir."

"And he... he's your boyfriend?" Turning back to me.

"Y – yes dad..."

"Oh." He chuckled nervously and wiped the nonexistent sweat on his forehead. "Oh. Please come in." We went inside our house and I can still feel my heart beating like crazy. "Please take a seat, I will just prepare some drinks."

"I'll do it, dad." I volunteered. I need to get hold of myself and I can only do that without Mr. Monterro's eyes staring at me.

"Oh no, just sit there and talk to your boyfriend." Great.

When my father was out of the room I felt even more nervous looking everywhere but Mr. Monterro.

"Are you okay?"

"Perfect."

He chuckled causing me to glance at him. He looks as though he's enjoying this. "Why are you here Mr. Monterro?"

"I told you to call me by name unless of course you want your dad to suspect anything..."

"Here's the juice, I hope you don't mind." My father is carrying a pitcher of orange juice and two glasses setting it down the old mahogany center table.

"No worries, sir." Mr. Monterro started pouring some on his glass.

"You...? You look familiar and if I'm not mistaken you... uhh you're the son of Mr. Alfonso Monterro?"

"Yes, it's been too long I guess since the last time we saw each other."

"Oh." My dad's eyes went to me for a second then back to Mr. Monterro. "And... y-you and my daughter are dating?" I felt as if my heart just dropped to my feet. "B-but we are indebted to you... I'm sorry I'm just confused. Allison, is this really...?" I understood quickly what my father was trying to say.