Three

𝕹𝖔

"Wh- I'm sorry, what? Come again, I'm sorry I'm probably hearing things.'' I said confused as I roam my eyes around the room that now felt chilling and harrowing.

"I don't think I need to repeat it Alice. You heard me just right the first time."

"But. But why? I mean, marry? As in marriage? For what? Give you a b-baby? I don't understand." I really don't, is this for real? Is he being serious? With no trace of amusement in his face I could figure that he is indeed serious. "I mean, that couldn't possibly be right, right?" Is he out of his mind? That's a high probability, you can't just ask someone to marry you a stranger at that. On a second thought, he never really asked. He stated it like it's a casual thing to say, like some sort of a business offer. "Are you trying to trick me? Is this an insult sir? Are you insulting me?" Is that it? Did he think I'm just like every other woman or did he think I'm promiscuous?

"Calm down Alice."

"Calm down? You just told me to marry you and carry your baby. I mean that's not something you can just tell anyone. That's crazy. Absurd. Sick. You don't even know me." Something snapped in me, men. I have had my fair share of experience with the cruelty of a man, I don't need another one. "I know, that women must fall at your feet all the time. You can have anyone."

He narrowed his eyes at me. "But none of those owe me big time."

"What?" I scoffed and looked at him like he's the biggest joke ever. "Are you saying that I have to marry you as a payment for what my father owed you? Is that how low you think of me?"

"I don't have to think anything about you. But to answer you, of course not Alice. This is just a proposal for you as a solution for your growing debts you'll probably never be able to pay in this lifetime and next."

"Wow, I know we owe you a lot. But you don't have to be a jerk."

"Please. Don't act like I'm the bad guy here. It doesn't have to be complicated."

"Are you even hearing yourself, sir? How can this be not complicated?"

"Well, if you'd just sit back down again and calm yourself so that we can talk about it in a professional way. Alice, I'll be honest with you. I honestly have no plans to get married, but you see with all this riches my father and I worked hard for I have to have an heir to pass it all down."

"And just what exactly did you think, that I'll agree with this? If you needed an heir that much, there are a lot of ways. You can hire a surrogate. I can't be your last resort!"

"You pretty miss, owe me. I am the one who have a say in this, actually. But of course, I'm trying to be considerate still. And what of all your debt? Hmm? Do you want to give it your future grandkids as an inheritance? I bet not."

"But I said I'll pay you. If you could just give me more time." I said desperately. "I can't do what you are asking of me. I'm sorry."

"Hmm."

"Look, I know it will not be easy to give you the money I can't find. But, this is too much. I just have a different perception of marriage and what you're offering me is something I can't commit to."

"I don't know how your perception nor your pride will save you from hunger. What I'm offering you is what you can call a life saver."

"We can't just get married. Besides we don't really know each other. You don't even know me. I can be a fugitive, or a murderer, or a scam. You can never guarantee."

"I know enough."

"What does that mean?!"

"Look, this argument is getting tiring. If you could just shut up for a moment and hear what my proposal contains. I know you're not a bad person Alice and just like you the only thing I want is to be done with this and get what is owed to me. The only thing you have to do is marry me and give me an heir. You can just consider it as a job or whatever that'll help you sleep at night because I will pay you monthly as well and you won't have to break that pretty bones of yours from working too hard. When the contract is done, we'll file for a divorce. I'll give you ten million dollars to help you start a new life but the child is mine, only mine."

"Wow. You've really thought this through don't you? You have this all planned out. But there's a catch. Sorry to break that pretty heart of yours, no. I can't." I can feel tears forming in my eyes blurring my vision of the handsome but arrogant man in front of me. "I, dignity is the only thing left of me, sir. Please don't take it away from me. I'm sorry."

He tilted his head up and pinched the bridge of his nose. I saw how his adam's apple moved when he swallowed. "I promise to find a way to pay you Mr. Monterro. But I'm sorry."

"I think you're making a hasty decision Alice. Think about it."

"There's nothing to think about. I can't marry you. I can't marry someone I don't love more so give you a child. I'm sorry but can I leave now?"

"Please think about it, Alice. You're making this all too emotional. I'll be giving you a week to decide. Think about it carefully. This is the easiest way to solve all your problems. To give your brother a chance at better education, more opportunities."

"I don't think I will change my mind. I'm sorry. Goodbye, Mr. Monterro."

I hurried home as quickly as I could. I can feel the stress of that talk draining me. I'm so tired of everything. What he said was all very tempting but it just doesn't feel right. This life had done me more damage than good and the last thing I would want is to do something that contradicts my upbringing. I don't want to disrespect my mother's memory that way.

Oh my mother, how I miss her so. I wonder if, if she didn't die will it still be the same. Will I still be on this path? On this floor crying. Will I still lead this sorry life with no sure insight of what future I can give my brother? This life is already hard as it is for me and I don't want the same fate for my brother. I want him to finish his studies and have a chance to have a decent life. Is it wrong that I declined? Did I make a mistake? Should have I just said yes disregarding what my mother taught me, the only thing I have left of her?

What do I do? Feeling totally conflicted, I sobbed. I have never cried for so long. I always think how I need to be strong for my brother. I kept all the pain in but right now, I think I have just admitted that I'm tired.

N: NOT PROOFREAD.