One

𝖁𝖎𝖘𝖎𝖙𝖔𝖗

Life used to be easy and we lived it simply on our small farm. The days were hard but it's easier to carry. We don't have much money but being together was all we ever needed, we were contented and happy. But then again, happy things weren't meant to remain. I know that now.

My mother was diagnosed with breast cancer. My mom was the best person I've ever known, she was supportive, loving, caring and all. When we found out about it, she's already on her terminal stage. My mother was a very enduring person, she never told us about her condition, and she said her reason was that she don't want us to worry.

But dad, he never gave up. He worked harder to have enough money for mom's treatments, but it's just never enough and we've only fallen deeper into more debts. Until one day, dad met a man named Alfonso Monterro who is kind enough to be willing to lend us money. With our hearts filled with hopes we were confident that she'll be okay. Nevertheless, that didn't take too long mom died anyway.

It was the worst day of our lives, I just not lost a mother but also someone I looked up to, admired, and adored so much. I felt like I've lost a part of me I'll never regain back.

We were all devastated, but dad he took it the worst. He started drinking, smoking, and gambling. He was abusing his body by working way too much. Maybe that's what happens when you've lost your better half. The very person that makes you whole. The love of your life. It was hard to take, losing my mother and seems like I'm about to lose my dad too. But that wasn't the end of all bad things, it was just the beginning.

Dad started becoming violent whenever his drunk. I don't know what's more painful to be physically abused by your father or the mere fact that the hands that once protected you now inflicts pain on you. As the eldest, I need to protect my brother. The only source of joy left in my life.

There were dark nights but most definitely there's the darkest ones. The one that is forever imprinted in our minds. The one that will ruin our view of something and leave a bitter aftertaste. It was one of those nights. Those dark, thunderous, and stormy nights. But that night was my worst nightmare only I wasn't asleep.

I jerked upwards when I heard a thundering sound. I must've fallen asleep. I glanced at my brother who's sleeping peacefully beside me. Oh, sweet angel. I placed a soft kiss on his forehead before grabbing the lamp to go outside and check what the noise was all about.

It was cold.

The rain didn't calm a bit and still pouring as heavy as earlier. The piercing sound of thunder followed by a lightning broke the deafening silence and there was a flash of light for a second enough to give me a silhouette of a man sobbing on the chair.

"Dad." I whispered. The awful smell of alcohol filled my nostrils indicating that he is indeed drunk again. "Dad," I repeated as I stepped closer to him. "Are you okay, dad?"

It was quick as the lighting a while ago before I could processed what's going on. I gasped for breath as my father strangle me. "D-d-a—"I tried to remove his hands but failed miserably. Stop. Dad.

"Sssstop!" My father removed his hands on my neck, I thought he heard me. But realized sooner that it was my brother, my little brother that has caught his attention. I was dropped on the floor, weak and gasping for air. I was seeing dark spots clouding my vision. But no, I heard my brother's screams and cries as our father grabbed a fistful of his hair and continuously slapping him. I stood up weakly but determined to stop this man I call father from hurting my brother. I grabbed a vase and smashed it into his head as forcefully as I could muster. I saw him fall on his knees. I quickly run to my crying brother's side and enveloped him in my arms, unaware of our father already back on his feet until I felt a painful pull of my hair and punch on my face.