Seven

𝕯𝖊𝖆𝖑

I checked the marks of hands on my neck from last night which are now turning sickeningly purple and evident. There's no way I'll be able to explain it to dad and Joseph. I put on a turtle-neck sweater and head straight to the kitchen. I grabbed my favorite cup and made a coffee. I love coffee, honestly if only I have extra money I'll buy a coffee maker.

"Go back to sleep. I'll take you home by the morning."

"I have to go home, now. I will just ride a taxi you don't have to. I don't want to bother you Mr. Monterro, I already owe you a lot."

"I insist. Just sleep first and –"

"But my brother will worry if he realizes I didn't come home."

He closed his eyes and run his fingers to his hair breathing out an exasperated sigh. I realized that I tend to annoy him with my stubbornness. "I'm sorry."

"Okay, I'll take you home now."

I want to tell him that he doesn't have to again but seeing his irritation made me nod my head in agreement. "Okay."

Mr. Monterro parked his car outside our house. I'm not sure how he knew where I lived but of course I remembered what he said before that he knows enough about me, I guess this is one of it.

"Mr. Monterro, I just want to thank you for everything. I know that we are still in deep debt but I want you to know that I am truly grateful of you for saving me."

"Any man on their right mind will do the same, I'm just glad I had found you before worse had happened." He held my hand that was placed on my lap. "If you could just reconsider my proposition for you. You wouldn't have to continue working too hard and risking your life. I know you have enough on your plate, think of this as my help. Just like you said, you don't want your family to worry. It doesn't have to be so hard Alice both of us will benefit from this. Think about it." Pressing a kiss at the back of my palm

"So tell me dear sister what are you smiling about?" I jumped in surprise when I heard my brother, cutting me off of my reverie.

"I wasn't smiling!" Or was I? "And why are you up so early? You don't have classes today."

"Yes you were, don't lie to me you're so easy to read." He smirked. "Well I actually have to go somewhere today."

"A date maybe?"

"What no! pft." Joseph laughed awkwardly. "I also have a life outside this house and school you know."

"Ooh, is that so? Why do I feel like you're hiding something from me?"

"Or maybe you're just imagining things..."

"So where are you going then?"

"A secret."

"What? That's not fair!" I hit his arm playfully. I trust my brother so I don't need him telling me all his whereabouts. "I just hope you won't neglect your studies going out on this secret dates of yours huh."

"Of course not and it's not a date stop saying that."

"Okay. Okay. I'll be happy if you pass all your subjects. I have no doubt, though. You're a very smart boy." I gave my brother a thumbs up.

"That! You are completely right!" he winked at me before leaving me alone in the kitchen and I sipped my coffee savoring its creamy taste on my mouth.

I opened the old fridge grabbed few eggs and sausages then closed it with my elbow afterwards. I was humming while cooking. I turned my head to my right and saw my father enter the kitchen. "Oh hey dad, good morning." I smiled at my father. "I'll set the table in a while."