35 | chance

35 | chance

I resist the urge to tuck her hair behind her ear and smile at her instead. I can no longer hear the arguing voices from inside, so I grab Bridget's mom's bags. Bridget opens the door for me. I place the bags inside the door.

Immediately Colleen (I'd heard her name from Bridget's dad) squeals and runs up to me. She grabs my hands and sways our hands between us. "There you two are. Must've been spending some alone time together, eh?" She giggles.

I catch sight of Mr. Young behind her. He's glowering at me, arms over his chest. But he's glancing between the three of us, eyebrows furrowed in confusion. I swallow.

"Uh, yeah," Bridget says, removing her coat and hanging it by the door.

Colleen flits over to her and holds her hands instead. "Sweetums, you have to tell me all the details." She guides Bridget over to the couch and together they sit down. Colleen sits on her bare feet, giving Bridget her full attention.

Bridget looks at me, and her expression pleads for help. I almost laugh—she's a horrible liar, it turns out.

Her mom looks at me too. "Oh, Chance, you sit with us too. I want both sides of the story."

As I settle beside Bridget on the couch, I peer at Mr. Young. He shuffles to the empty recliner. A part of me waits for him to start scratching his head. He collapses into the chair and stares at us.

Colleen leans in close to us. "Tell me everything. When did this start? I know Chance transferred to your school this year. Is that when you started to hang out? When did you start to have feelings for each other? How long have you been dating?"

"Mom," Bridget whisper-yells.

Mr. Young begins to splutter. We all turn to look at him as he sits straighter. "What did you just say? Did you say that these two are dating?" His eyes bore into Bridget's. "Is that true? Are you dating this guy?"

Then he stands, pointing at me. "Bridget Anne, are you dating this boy?"

Bridget hops to her feet too. "Dad, relax. It's not – it's just – we just—"

"You lied to me, Bridget." His nostrils flare and his hands clench at his sides. "You said he was just a kid from school who gave you a ride home once. Now you're dating him? I told you to be careful around him. But you're dating him anyway. When were you going to tell me? When you were married?"

"Glenn!" Her mom stands too, scowling. I can see the family resemblance. "This is exactly why she didn't tell you! You're accusing her of dating a boy that you've clearly already met. And she's not a kid anymore! She can date who she wants."