Ch. 22 (Bridget)

*Bridget*

As I looked in the mirror Friday morning before school, I recalled when Chance had shown up without advanced notice. I was pissed beyond belief and somewhat embarrassed. I had broken out all over my face and I had no concealer on.

I shouldn't have cared what he thought, because I didn't, not really. But when you break out and some undeniably hot guy shows up at your door, you can't help but feel self-conscious.

Although, I couldn't wrap my head around it—he didn't even seem to notice the acne on my face.

There was something wrong with that guy.

I shook the thoughts from my head, checked my makeup, and grabbed my messenger bag. I climbed into my car and revved the engine.

The other day, Chance had shown up to school early to drop off my car in the parking lot while Tabitha drove me to school. When I got there, Chance and my Pontiac with a giant red bow on the hood greeted me.

As I drove to school that Friday, my mind wandered. I really felt bad because not only had Chance given me a ride home, but he'd also fixed my car. I felt guilty that I had yet to think of some way to repay him.

A car behind me honked—the light had turned green, but I hadn't moved. I floored the accelerator and sped up, allowing all the cars behind me to make the light.

I giggled with delight as my car gained speed faster than it ever had. I went from ten miles per hour to forty-five in just a few seconds.

God, I really needed to repay Chance.

The school was empty as usual on Friday—everyone arrived later so they could sleep in; not to mention the fact that Fridays were days everyone wanted to skip because it was just one day away from the blessed weekend. The hallways were empty of any noise and most of the classrooms were still locked.

I slid to the floor in front of my locker and bit my lip. I sat there, thinking of some way to repay the male model. A simple "Thank you" wouldn't suffice, but something told me he'd take it with his famous smile and an "Anytime".

That wouldn't do.

More people had arrived, but I was so deep in thought, I hadn't even noticed them. They were quiet, some humming to themselves. But when a pair of footsteps slammed against the ground, I knew the quiet atmosphere had vanished.

"Hey, Mikey," I greeted, as he towered over me with a huge smile on his face.

His smile widened as he helped me up. Or, tried to, at least. He just kind of stood there as his hands hovered awkwardly around me.

I pushed a strand of hair away from my face and asked, "So what's up?"

He shrugged as he tucked his hands into his pockets. He replied, "Just wanted to hang out. We don't get to talk that much anymore."

Not that we did anyway, I thought. "Yeah, I've been a bit busy."

"With that Chance guy." It wasn't a question.

A quiet sigh escaped. So he'd noticed. And if he noticed, then everyone else did too.

Which included Gina. Shit.

Mikey ran his fingers through his unruly, thick brown hair, the way he always did when the conversation went in the wrong direction. "So how's school treating you?"

Lame, but I'd take it. I'd rather talk to him now than have my father loom over us as we held friendly conversation at the front door.

"Pretty good. I'm at my average," I answered with a small shrug. "How about you?"