Ch. 19 (Chance)

*Chance*

I leaned against the passenger side of my car while Bridget grabbed her bag from her dead car. Luckily, I had a father who worked at a mechanic shop during high school and could fix her car, free of cost.

She walked back to me, looking miserable. I knew she hated having only a week away from me, but there was no other way for her to get home.

I wasn't driving her home to figure out where she lived. Well, not exactly. Ever since I saw her Monday, I'd been dying to talk to her, hold a conversation, make her smile. Being her savior was the perfect way to do that, especially since we'd be in a car together. Alone. I kinda hoped she lived far away, so we could talk longer than a meager five minutes.

Bridget shifted her cell phone from her bag to her pocket. She didn't look nervous or scared to be with me. She just looked—not ready to take a ride with me as the driver. I decided I'd try to respect that and keep the conversation light.

I took her bag from her and opened the passenger door for her. I closed it after she climbed in and I stuck her bag in the trunk. I climbed in and started my car. The bat plushy around my rearview mirror swayed back and forth as I pulled out of the parking lot.

At first, things were quiet. The only sound was the soft purring of the engine. The silence between us was awkward, but void of any other tension. The silence was long, though, and lasted until we were completely off of the school campus.

Bridget seemed to relax just a bit more once the school was out of view. She reached forward and grabbed the bat. "Why do you have this?"

"My car is the Lamborghini Murcielago LP640 and murcielago means—"

She cut me off. "Bat in Spanish. That's kind of clever. It would've been cooler if you had, like, the bat-symbol on your car or something."

I chuckled. "That'd be a different kind of bat mobile."

As if reading each other's mind, we both burst into the Batman theme song. When we finished, we laughed, and it surprised me how easily Bridget's flowed from her—I thought it would be more forced.

Bridget pointed to the turn lane. "Turn here," she instructed, and I turned my signal on and glided into the left turn lane.

More silence followed as Bridget stroked the leather seat and studied the dashboard. Although she tried to keep it concealed, she couldn't keep her jealousy hidden—it was shimmering in those green eyes of hers. She bit her bottom lip as she normally did when she was nervous.

From the driver's seat, I kept half my attention on the road and the other half on Bridget. To have her beside me felt so right and being so close made my heart beat faster. I recalled when I'd pulled her into me in the parking lot and my hands grew sweaty. One by one, I wiped my hands on my jeans and had to remember that she was in the car with me.

Bridget leaned forward and took off her jacket. She kept it behind her instead of laying it on her lap like I thought she'd do. She wore a low-cut lime green shirt that hugged her shape.

I looked at her, eyes scanning her extraordinary beauty. I tried to ignore the effects she was having on my body.

Her eyes grew wide and she put her hand on the wheel, turning it to the right. "Jesus, pay attention to the road! You were on the wrong side of the street. What were you doing anyway?"

My eyes stayed fixed on the road, hands gripping the wheel tighter than before. "Sorry about that. I was distracted."

"By what, your ego?" she muttered, irritated. "You could've killed us!"