Ch. 29 (Chance)

*Chance*

A week passed since Homecoming, and I was still being dragged around by Gina, suffering through gossip and petty complaints—the complete opposite of my plan. I had wanted to distance myself from Gina and hang out with someone I actually cared about—in other words, Bridget. But Gina had a different idea: instead, I was stuck with materialistic girls who were only liked because of their bodies.

I realized I was pretty much the same: materialistic and liked because of my appearance. But I didn't belong there, since I didn't obsess over how my makeup looked every second of the day.

Bored in English class, I turned to the window and looked at the world outside. The November air was crisp and the breeze had turned constant. Leaves already covered the ground like an autumn blanket, and the trees were bare and beginning to die. Scarves and gloves started to become an everyday fashion as the temperatures lowered.

"Chance Olson!" the teacher called, glaring at me. "You may be a celebrity, Mr. Olson, but you're also a high school student. If what's outside interests you so, perhaps you could write a paper on it."

My classmates giggled at me as I chuckled and apologized in a silky tone, "Sorry ma'am." I returned my attention to the class.

I was at my locker before lunch started, and when I opened it, a note tumbled out and fell to the floor. I picked it up and recognized the large curlicue letters—Gina. The note read, "Meet me in the newspaper room. Kisses xoxo."

"Hey, man," Cranston greeted, hitting my arm as I stuffed the note back into my locker.

When he saw the expression on my face, he asked, "You okay?"

I slammed my locker shut. "I have to meet Gina in the newspaper room," I told him, trying to keep my voice level.

He raised an eyebrow. "And that's a bad thing, how?"

A sigh escaped. "It's like I'm tethered to her. I have to do whatever she wants. I have to say what she wants. I have to live by her rules. I'm sick of being dragged around with her."

He gave a light chuckle. "That's how Gina rolls. Everyone knows she's territorial."

I glared at the ground. "Yeah, well, I'm done being treated like property. I'm ditching the bitch."

"Oh ho ho!" Cranston exclaimed, laughing. "If she heard you call her that, she'd kill you. I'd keep your potty-mouth shut when you go to see her."

I realized I didn't have to do as the she-devil ordered. A glint appeared in my eye and a smirk formed on my face. "Maybe I don't have to."

His eyebrow arched. "What do you mean?"

"I don't have to meet her. I'm not her pawn," I clarified.

He rubbed his chin and sucked in a breath. "I dunno, man. If you don't want to lose your popularity with the ladies, I'd do as she says."

I suddenly didn't care. There was only one girl I cared about, and she wasn't exactly popular. I shrugged and allowed, "Then so be it. Let's go to lunch."

As we walked down the hall, Cranston chuckled and commented, "You're kind of badass, man."

After lunch, Gina ran up to me, her face red with anger, and demanded, "What the hell? You stood me up. What's your problem?"

Just then, the bell rang, so I tried not to smirk and said, "Sorry, but I have to get to class."

A pissed-off Gina watched me walk away and stomped her foot, groaning loudly. All of her friends rushed over to her to comfort her, but she just glared after me, wrath in her eyes.