Ch. 24 (Bridget)

*Bridget*

My dad lounged on the couch, watching some sport on TV, drinking a beer, and eating potato chips. Meanwhile, I sat at my desk, working on a paper that was due Monday.

Normally, I didn't work on homework until Sunday, but after that thing with Chance, I needed a distraction. Doing an English paper wasn't exactly the best way to spend a Friday evening, but I had to do what I had to do.

My fingers paused over the keyboard as my mind wandered. I was thinking about Chance, again, replaying the events at Bump 'n Bolt. I still didn't understand why he asked me out. It could have been a joke. But he had said it so seriously.

I shook my head. I didn't have to worry about it. I had already said no, so hopefully he'd get the hint and leave me alone. And if he didn't and asked me out again, I'd still say no.

Chance was hot, yes, but not boyfriend material. He was shallow and materialistic. Guys like him dated just for the publicity. That's all it would be to him. That, and I couldn't stand the guy.

A car door slammed outside and I assumed it was a Brewsky brother, most likely Ivan coming home from his shift. When our doorbell rang, I rolled my eyes and figured Mikey and Ivan wanted to hang out.

"Hey! Get the door!" my dad yelled to me. He either didn't want to miss the game on TV or he was just lazy—I figured it was a combination.

I opened the door to reveal a swaying and glossy-eyed Chance flashing a dopey smile at me. His cheeks were pink and his eyes were half-shut.

"Chance?" I asked, surprised to see him. I figured he would be at home, staring at himself in the mirror and assuring himself he was sexy. (That's what models did after being rejected, right?)

He nodded and had to take a step back to find his balance again. He leaned towards me and exclaimed, "My god, you're as beautiful as ever." It sounded like his tongue had swelled five times its normal size.

I coughed as the smell of booze hit my nose, and the scent was strong. "God, Chance," I began, closing the door behind me, "are you drunk?"

He rubbed his eyes and he had to catch his balance again. "I'm pretty sure. Y'know, even out of focus, you're gorgeous."

I put my hands on his arms to keep him upright and inquired, "How much did you have?"

Chance let out a loud sigh. "I don't know. I lost count after seven."

"Oh my god." I looked behind him to make sure his car wasn't there. He was far too intoxicated to drive anywhere.

A sweaty hand touched my face. "Is it bad to say you look delicious?" He let out an obnoxious giggle.

I peered inside to see where my father was. When he went to the bathroom, I dragged the drunken model to my room and closed the door.

Once he saw the bed, he giggled and looked at me. "You want me in bed already? Not that I mind," he slurred.

With a grunt of disgust, I rolled my eyes and checked the hallway—I didn't want my dad to hear.

"Hey!" Chance grunted at my fuzzy pink bunny slipper. "Quit looking at me funny!"

"Bridget?" my dad called. He must've finished in the bathroom. "Bridget, is someone here?"

I bit my lip and whispered to angel-face, "You gotta be quiet." To my dad, I called, "No, no one's here!"

"No!" the drunk denied. "There is!"

With an irritated expression on my face, I turned back to him and whisper-yelled, "Shut up! You have to be quiet, or else I'll kick you out."