Ch. 16 (Bridget)

*Bridget*

I was still pissed at Chance because of what had happened, so when I saw him in the hallways on Monday after school, I scowled and turned away. As he slowed upon passing me, I paid close attention to a scratch on the inside of my locker. Once he was gone, I allowed myself to breathe again.

Adelade tapped my shoulder and looked at me with lowered brows. "Are you okay? You always get really tense whenever Chance Olson is around."

Tabitha glared at me with her haunting blue eyes as if to threaten, "I dare you to lie."

A sigh of defeat escaped. "We met up at a park Saturday so he could get to know me or whatever and it ended with us yelling at each other," I explained dryly, looking down.

I expected either one of them to yell at me for being rude to him even though I said I wouldn't. But no one raised their voice. Instead, they just stared at me with wide eyes and gaping mouths.

Adelade leaned closer to me and asked in a whisper, "You were alone, with Chance, in a park, talking?" She watched me, eyes incredulous.

With furrowed brows, I nodded slowly. "Yeah . . . What else were we supposed to do? Wait," I said, holding up a hand, "don't answer that. I don't wanna know."

Tabitha and Adelade exchanged a look and returned to me.

"Wouldn't that be considered a date?" Tabitha inquired, hesitant.

My mouth dropped to the floor and my eyes bulged in shock. I gagged and exclaimed, "Oh, dear god, no! I would rather be caught dead in a peacock hat than on a date with him. Besides, didn't you hear me when I said it ended with us arguing?"

"Well, when you say you were with Chance at a park, we can't help but jump to the conclusion that you went on a date," Adelade pointed out meekly.

Tabitha's eyes turned dreamy. "It would be just like a fairytale if you two fell for each other."

I looked at her as if she was insane—which, honestly, wouldn't surprise me if she was in some way. "Are you kidding? Not only would that be a complete nightmare, but that'd also be utterly cliché. I've read at least a hundred books on it."

Tabitha cast a mysterious glance at me. "There's a reason there are so many, Bridget. Think about it. Why would there be so many variations of the same tale?"

"Oh, I don't know. Maybe because it makes girls giggle, blush, and dream about Prince Charming, even though he doesn't exist?" I guessed, rolling my eyes.

Tabitha shook her head. "No, because it actually happens!" she insisted.

An impatient sigh released. "Maybe in your reality, girls. Not in mine."

As I started down the hall, a pair of feet followed, the noise boisterous and echoing. There were only two people I knew that walked as loud as they talked: the Brewsky boys. I turned to find Mikey smiling at me.

"Hey Bridge! Wanna hang out?" he asked, a hopeful look gleaming in his eyes.

I bit my lip. I felt guilty for blowing him off earlier and it'd been a while since it was just me and the guys. I decided to say yes.

Ivan picked Mikey up but he wanted to change out of his work clothes. So I drove home ahead of them, and then we planned to meet up in the yard between our two houses.

"How was school?" my dad asked offhandedly as I entered the house to drop my bag inside so I didn't have to lug it around.

I put my wallet in my purse and slung it over my shoulder. "It was fine. I only have English for homework." Another paper due. Lovely.