Ch. 33 (Chance)

*Chance*

Sighing, I looked up at the ceiling and let a smile cross my features. I recalled Prom, which seemed so long ago, and remembered Bridget. She had looked amazing, so beautiful. I couldn't stop myself from dancing with her, even if I wanted to. She looked almost unreal in that floor-length dress that made her green eyes pop. Even from across the room I could see her eyes shining brightly.

I glanced at my hand, relishing in the delight of holding her. We had danced like that for most of the night until her friends changed dance partners. Mikey danced with Bridget, making her laugh, while I writhed with jealousy. I felt bad for the blonde Barbie I was dancing with, Aldys or something; but I think she was amused by my obvious jealousy.

At the next slow song, I stole Bridget back and danced with her until Prom ended. And even though it was evident Bridget hadn't had much experience with dancing, and I was about as limited, at least we didn't stomp on each other's feet. And I thought we looked graceful on the dance floor. Bridget probably thought otherwise, but that was just how she was.

I put my arms behind my head and continued to stare at the ceiling of my bedroom. The thoughts going through my mind revolved around Bridget, how I felt about her. I couldn't help but like how easily she got pissed off, how stubborn she was, how she didn't care what people thought about her (and even how she pretended not to care when sometimes she did), and how she didn't like to stir up drama because she didn't have the patience for that. I liked everything, from her looks, to her flaws, to her quirks.

Sitting up, I released another sigh. I knew she couldn't stand me. She still thought I was shallow. She believed I was just my looks. So why didn't I just give up? She was the first girl who had ever piqued my interest, the first girl to deny me, the first girl to drive me a little crazy. I didn't want to give up on that. So I guess Bridget Young was stuck with me until we graduated. Which was only two months away.

It was already April. The beginning of my senior year had gone by so slowly I felt I had all the time in the world to get Bridget to fall for me. But suddenly time seemed to speed up and I only had two months left. I needed a miracle.

Little did I know, I would soon get that miracle.

My dad called to me, asking me to come down from my room.

I trotted down the stairs that Sunday morning and went over to my parents in the kitchen, where my dad was reading the newspaper and my mom was looking in the refrigerator. I asked, "What's up?"

My dad pointed at my mother and informed me absentmindedly, "She's the one who wanted you."

I stuffed my hands into my pockets and looked over at my mom. "What do you need?"

She handed me a piece of paper while brushing aside a strand of hair that had fallen in her face. "Here's the shopping list. Do you mind going to the store for me?"

I grabbed the list, shrugged on my light jacket, and got into my Lamborghini. I drove to the store and avoided the group of girls that was standing around a cheaper but still classy car. I got a cart, studied the list of food, and walked down the appropriate aisles. But I stopped once I saw a familiar face.

Bridget Young stood in front of the microwavable dinners in sweat pants and a university sweatshirt. She wasn't wearing any makeup and, by the hard-soled slippers on her feet, I figured she didn't care about her appearance.

My heart kicked it up a notch at the unexpected run-in, and I couldn't help smiling. I wanted to talk to her, but when she dropped a box of cereal and cussed loudly, I decided against it. It was obvious she wasn't in a good mood, and I rather liked having a flawless face.