•• Chapter 16 ••

Sunday morning I go for a jog, feeling far too awkward about last night. My mind was racing. I couldn't stop thinking about what Ransom said. 

Not to you. I'll never be Emmett to you.

Obviously he meant I was only allowed to call him Ransom.

However, he also didn't thank me and avoided me the entire fundraiser last night.

So it was one of two things. I wasn't allowed to say Emmett because he had no respect for me and never would. Or I wasn't allowed to say Emmett because... he... liked me calling him Ransom; which also made no sense because he also said...

Don't worry. Contract is broken. You're free. Forever. I won't... bother you ever again. 

And here I was, running into the front lobby after a long jog, watching a mail man about to deliver letters to the drop boxes below.

I walk up behind the worker, watching him edge closer to the penthouse dropbox.

"I'm Mr. Ransom's personal assistant, I'll deliver that to him," I say it in the most professional way I can. The mail man couldn't care less. He shrugs and hands me the couple of letters.

I smile and turn, heading into the lift, feeling my arm pits produce exponentially more sweat.

What the fuck am I doing?

Argh. So stupid. But here I go.

I stand in the lift and I try to press Ransom's button but realise I don't have a swipe card. Fuck.

Intercom for his level. I press it and wait.

"Ayla, is that you?"

Noooo...

"Not - Ale? Anyway. Hey, Emmett, it's Cheryl. I got your letters - the mail man, uh  - dropped - them on the lobby floor and I happened to check the address and-"

The light turns green to his floor.

Access.

The intercom buzz cuts short after he replies with silence.

"...Ransom," I hiss. Shit. I called him Emmett! It was a total accident too!

Not that it matters. No contract. No worry.

Why am I doing this again? I feel my stomach drop as the lift speeds up to the top floor and I spread out the three letters in my hand, waiting to hand them over.

I wait and then the lift slows, the doors sigh open and Emmett's face is right there. He holds out his arms, his torso completely bare, a belt over his shoulder, his pants loosely hanging around his hips... oh, no.

His two toned eyes glare at me as holds out one hand for the letters.

I go to hand them over until I hear, "Yes. Slade. Oh, yes! Like this?"

"Good bunny."

"What's that -?" I start to ask when I see a woman run by wearing a rabbit's round pom-pom fluffy tail from her... butt. But I hear multiple female... noises and such.

I try to look past Ransom but he steps with my side-step to block the view of the penthouse.

"You shouldn't be here, Cherry," Emmett murmurs. I'm holding the letters out of reach and behind my back, waiting for the doors to shut - as they do start to slide, he steps back like he doesn't care and I hold out a palm to stop them closing at the last second.

"What's happening?" I ask, whispering it, honestly curious.

"Last Sunday of the month we do classes for highly experienced Submissives - they're swapped in from the Gentlemen's club. You wouldn't understand, Cherry," Ransom smirks to himself a bit and keeps in a demeaning chuckle about some inside joke.