Chapter 18: A Peace That Slips Again

// "Let's be together again in our next life..!" //

CHAPTER 18: A Peace That Slips Again

~*~

Despite having a rather bright start to the day ahead, once Levi was stationed behind his desk alone in the office with nothing but the ticking of the mocking clock, his troubles became a lot more eminent with a thousand and one complications to ponder in his mind. The people around him usually helped him to forget about any problems for the time being; no one was in his office now, though. These past weeks have been calm- a lot calmer than what he expected after his small chat with Erwin at the hospital. But he knew; this was just the calm before a storm.

He paused to stare at the paperwork in his hand – specifically at the seal of the Military Police; another branch in this secret government organization and company – his mind trying to pinpoint his agitation. Then slowly he allowed his mind to wander back to the night when he saw Eren fall lifeless in the abandoned building…

With a sigh, he placed his pen down and opted to stare through the black tinted windows of his office that allowed him vision of the workplace outside but doesn’t provide the people on the other side the same benefits. A couple of buzzing workers ran about with heavy files in their hands, the shitty four-eyes with her secretary, a few clients here and there… and then his eyes landed on that very brown-haired boy in his thoughts. The boy who was so happily welcomed back by his coworkers after that freak incident a couple of weeks ago; he looked very bright to be back with them again too.

Of course, he was another source of his troubles despite not showing it publicly…

Eren… doesn’t remember.

Not of the past they shared; when they first met in the dungeons, when they slayed titans together, the times Levi managed to save Eren, the admiration of the boy toward him, their confessions, their love, their moments together… and their separation before this life.

The life that started their bond over 2000 years ago; he doesn’t remember it.

Up until that incident, he had always found something in this world insanely wrong; everything seemed so familiar to him and yet it was all still so new. There was a constant feeling of something missing within him— something that stirred after he bumped into Eren at the park. Many questions were still left unanswered, even after that short period of being together with Eren, but he didn’t put mind into it. Since he was happy, for once he really was.

But then, that night at the hospital… made everything a lot clearer.

Everything in his life, even now—the people, the names, the emotions—everything seemed like a huge loop from their lives over 2000 years ago. It was a continuous sequence that he couldn’t escape nor understand.

But he was glad.

He was with Eren again—best of all he could remember everything and as cliché as it would sound, he felt like it was a second chance to make everything better again; a chance to pursue their bond and love… bound by their single promise.

//”Let’s meet again in out next life…”//

It all fit into place perfectly…

Until he found out that the boy doesn’t remember anything at all…

…None…

~*~

“Hey, Levi… I had a weird dream last night!”

That was what the boy had told him the day before he was discharged from the hospital.