Chapter 13: A Past We Shared

CHAPTER 13: A Past We Shared

//“I keep getting the feeling that you’re so familiar. I just want to ask; have I seen you somewhere before?”//

[Warning! This is finally the climax chapter... let the feels activate!]

~*~

Tick, Tock. Tick, Tock.

Soft ticking from the clock on the pastel white walls hovered across the room and mingled with the faint breathing of the four figures inside.

Levi glanced at said clock and saw the hands glide past the 6 a.m. mark. Time had passed in an excruciatingly slow pace; every second ticked by only added to his worries about the boy. He shifted in his seat with his stare still on the clock as he felt the effects of being seated in the same position for such long hours slowly tire his body. But he would still wait- he wouldn’t go anywhere until that boy woke up. He wanted to see Eren wake up with his own eyes; he wanted to hold Eren and make sure that it was truly okay this time…

Armin and Mikasa were still fast asleep on the opposing side of the bed and even Hanji had left by 3 a.m. A few colleagues had dropped in to take a look at Eren’s condition and he briefly wondered whether was Eren a sociable person. But from the moment Eren got admitted until this very passing second, Levi hadn’t slept- he didn’t feel like sleeping at all. He knew he had work in a few hours but for once he was thankful to Hanji because she offered to take over his workload for the time being so he could stay with Eren.

His eyes slowly drifted back to the boy- his soft features, silky brown hair.

Eyes lowered again, he stood up from his chair and slowly inched his hand to brush away a stray strand of hair from Eren’s closed eyes.

“Eren…” he heard himself whisper by habit. But his voice sounded stained even to his own ears.

He moved closer to the boy and felt himself swallow a lump in his throat. It was like as if he feared the boy before him right now was a mirage- a dream, and he would wake up finding the boy gone from his life forever. Pushing those thoughts away, he leaned in closer to the boy and took in how beautiful he was. Slowly, softly, he hovered his lips over the boy’s forehead and pressed a gentle, loving kiss.

BEEP!

He pulled back, turning to the machine that monitored Eren’s heart-rate in surprise; there was a spike in his pulse… had Eren felt that kiss? Does he know?

Levi whipped back to the boy, half-hoping that his eyelashes would be fluttering open… but no… no such luck. His gaze dropped again and he resisted the urge to press his fingers against his lips. He… he had felt something when his lips touched Eren’s skin. And he was sure that Eren felt it too.

His own heartbeat felt so overtaken with a strong emotion he had never felt before, and yet it seemed too familiar to his liking. Like… he had experienced it in a dream before but couldn’t remember.

It was suffocating.

BEEP! BEEP!

He frowned with weary breaths, hearing Eren’s unstable pulse rate and closed his eyes, trying to shake any negative thoughts away.

Eyes still trained on the brunette he loved, he reached his hand out and… slowly, hesitantly took hold of Eren’s cold hand—

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!

Levi’s eyes widened in surprise, something wasn’t right... his head suddenly felt so painful- his eyesight was getting blurry. No, he thought internally, something’s wrong… It was getting hard to even think clearly… his emotions felt unstable. He could even hear his breath become shaky and his first instinct was to turn and see if the boy was okay.