Chapter 12: Hope

[Ah, I'm sorry to bug in here but just a friendly reminder that there will be a lot of bad words down there *points down* so I hope you don't mind it! And, also I'd like to let you know that reading the author's notes at the end can help sometimes with giving some info on what might happen in future chapters. Also, if you want to see when the next update will be out, I post it on the status at my profile! You can check it out for updates! ^^ Continue reading~]

~*~

"You seem so familiar... I just wan't to ask; have I seen you somewhere before?"

~*~

“Levi! Bad news! Eren! He—!”

The man felt his breath get caught in his throat. It didn’t take long for his mind to fully process what the brunette had yelled… and it made him swallow thickly, feeling his heart plunge right back into the pit of guilt and grief.

“Eren…”

Hanji chose that moment to stop and take deep puffy breaths- but the look on her face was more than enough to make Levi hope that he couldn’t hear what she would say next. No matter how much curiosity would eat him up later, at least the fact of not knowing might still keep the hope inside of him burning…

But he knew he wouldn’t be able to escape it.

“… The doctors tried their best…” Ah, that was probably the line everyone in the hospital dreaded to receive. To know that there was probably a “but” after it along with eminent bad news that can’t be avoided scares everyone.

“… they say Eren’s doing… a little better right now. They’ve stopped the bleeding.” Levi stood, still frozen against the wall, his eyes searching into her own brown ones for any traces that she might have been joking- maybe she was just trying to scare him, prank him like how she always did—

“…but,” there it is, “they say that… his treatment was delayed too much and his condition is still too unstable because of that…”

To be honest, the slow pace she used to inform Levi about the boy was suspenseful and it was literally killing him, though he knew she was trying to find the best way to get it through to him. But he couldn’t find himself to grouch or care about it at that point- it just didn’t matter anymore when his world practically felt lost in time.

“Eren…” He could see the pain on her usually cheerful face too, and how choked her words were becoming.

She opened her mouth again hesitantly.

“He’s…”

ERENNNNN!!!!

Even from where he stood, he heard the sorrowful wail from who could only be Mikasa- all the way across the corridors back to Eren’s room.

DRIP. DRIP.

Moist.

His cheeks felt moist. Teardrops rolled down his cheeks freely yet he didn’t care to hide it this time. He could feel the way his eyes were stung and blurred by his tears and realized that he couldn’t stop it even if he wanted to.

“L-Levi!”

He bolted across the hall- dodging people, wheelchairs, nurses and even jumping over a man’s broken leg at one point. Hanji’s footsteps weren’t far behind him and it seemed like she was trying to relay the rest of her message but he no longer heard anything at this point. There was a feeling in his gut like he already knew what happened to the boy he loved.